Bible verses about despair
Contrary to what many people think, life as a Christian will not always be easy. When I was dealing with despair I noticed that it was because I was putting my focus and trust in everything else besides God. I was constantly dwelling on my problems and taking my eyes off of God.
When you do this that gives the devil an opportunity to tell lies such as God is not near you and He will not help you.
Please don’t listen to these lies. I found out what I was doing wrong and I went into prayer mode.
I truly committed to the Lord. The key to overcoming despair is keeping your mind on the Lord, which will keep your mind at peace.
You have to lose yourself to gain yourself.
When we’re in these types of situations it’s meant to build us not hurt us. They make us more dependent on God and they also make us commit to Him more doing His will in life and not ours.
God has a plan for all His children and you will never accomplish that plan if you’re dwelling on the problem. Meditate on God’s promises daily for more help with hope in times of despair.
Take your eyes off the things of this world. Allow difficulty to bring you to your knees in prayer. Fight off those lies by crying for help. Trust in the Lord, not your circumstances.
- “When fear is excessive it can make many a man despair.” Thomas Aquinas
- “Hope is like the cork to the net, which keeps the soul from sinking in despair; and fear, like the lead to the net, which keeps it from floating in presumption.” Thomas Watson
- “The greatest faith is born in the hour of despair. When we can see no hope and no way out, then faith rises and brings the victory.” Lee Roberson
What does the Bible say?
1. 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 We are experiencing trouble on every side, but are not crushed; we are perplexed, but not driven to despair; we are persecuted, but not abandoned; we are knocked down, but not destroyed, always carrying around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be made visible in our body.
Hope in God
2. 2 Corinthians 1:10 He has rescued us from a terrible death, and he will rescue us in the future. We are confident that he will continue to rescue us.
3. Psalm 43:5 Why are you in despair, my soul? Why are you disturbed within me? Hope in God, because I will praise him once again, since his presence saves me and he is my God.
4. Psalm 71:5-6 For you are my hope, Lord GOD, my security since I was young. I depended on you since birth, when you brought me from my mother’s womb; I praise you continuously.
Be strong and wait for the Lord.
5. Psalm 27:13-14 Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness while I am here in the land of the living. Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.
6. Psalm 130:5 I am counting on the Lord; yes, I am counting on him. I have put my hope in his word.
7. Psalm 40:1-2 I waited patiently for the LORD to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along.
Fix your eyes on Christ.
8. Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
9. Colossians 3:2 Keep your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on the earth. For you have died, and your life has been safely guarded by the Messiah in God.
10. 2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
Seek the Lord
11. 1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
12. Psalm 10:17 LORD, you know the hopes of the helpless. Surely you will hear their cries and comfort them.
God knows what you need and He will provide.
13. Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
14. Psalm 37:25 Once I was young, and now I am old. Yet I have never seen the godly abandoned or their children begging for bread.
15. Matthew 10:29-31 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.
16. Psalm 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”
Trust in the Lord
17. Psalm 37:23-24 The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand.
18. John 16:33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”
19. Colossians 3:15 And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.
God is on your side.
20. Isaiah 41:13 For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.
21. Psalm 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom will I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom will I be afraid?
22. Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
He is the rock.
24. 1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
25. Psalm 143:4-6 So I am ready to give up; I am in deep despair.I remember the days gone by; I think about all that you have done, I bring to mind all your deeds. I lift up my hands to you in prayer; like dry ground my soul is thirsty for you.
Hebrews 10:35-36 So do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord. Remember the great reward it brings you! Patient endurance is what you need now, so that you will continue to do God’s will. Then you will receive all that he has promised.