What does the Bible say about confidence?
We all need confidence, but the question is where does true confidence come from? It only comes from Christ. If your confidence is coming from any other source it will fail in the end.
I believe that in this generation confidence is found in the world. Confidence is found in status, relationships, money, cars, houses, clothes, beauty, careers, achievements, education, goals, popularity, etc.
Even Christians can try to build their confidence from an outside source. If only I had this I would be more confident. If only I looked like this I would be more confident.
When your confidence comes from anything other than God you will never be satisfied. You’re going to be left more broken and you’re going to be left dry.
God said my people have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug broken cisterns that cannot hold water. When our confidence comes from things we are digging up broken cisterns that cannot hold water.
I believe things like too much TV, Facebook, etc. can hurt our confidence as well because it takes our focus off of God. God needs to be our confidence. We need to get closer to Him. He is our everlasting source for all that we need.
Christian quotes about confidence
“Confidence isn’t walking into a room thinking you’re better than everyone, it’s walking in not having to compare yourself to anyone at all.”
“God can do nothing for me until I recognize the limits of what is humanly possible, allowing Him to do the impossible.” Oswald Chambers
“Fear corrodes our confidence in God’s goodness.” Max Lucado
“Faith is a living and unshakable confidence, a belief in the grace of God so assured that a man would die a thousand deaths for its sake.” Martin Luther
“Self-confidence has limited potential but God-confidence has unlimited possibility!” Renee Swope
“The ultimate ground of faith and knowledge is confidence in God.” Charles Hodge
“Deep, contended joy comes from a place of complete security and confidence [in God] – even in the midst of trial.” Charles R. Swindoll
“Seeing is never believing: we interpret what we see in the light of what we believe. Faith is confidence in God before you see God emerging, therefore the nature of faith is that it must be tried.” Oswald Chambers
“The self-confidence of a Christian is nothing but trusting in his wisdom, thinking he knows every teaching of the Scriptures and how to serve God.” Watchman Nee
“We operate by faith, which means that we have confidence in what God says, whether we fully understand it or not.” Aiden Wilson Tozer
“Faith is the sold, unshakable confidence in God which is built upon assurance that He is faithful to His promises.” Dr. David Jeremiah
Putting your confidence in money
Never put your confidence in your savings account. If God has blessed you with more than enough, then glory to God, but never trust in riches. Never let your confidence come from what you have. A few ways that we show confidence in God with our finances is by giving, tithing, and making sacrifices. Trust in the all-powerful God who will provide for your needs. When the Great Depression occurred many people committed suicide.
They were putting their confidence in their finances and it backfired. If they had put their confidence in the Lord they would have trusted in the Lord to keep them, protect them, provide for them, encourage them, and deliver them in the trials. Turn your heart back to the Lord if your heart is toward your finances.
1. Hebrews 13:5-6 “Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”
2. Job 31:24 “If I have made gold my trust or called fine gold my confidence.”
3. Proverbs 11:28 “Those who trust in their riches will fall, but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf.”
Some put confidence in their beauty.
Both men and women struggle with low self-esteem. When your confidence is in yourself you will hate yourself for every little flaw. You will start envying and seeking to imitate what you see. Nothing will satisfy you. Some people have spent over $50,000 on plastic surgery and their heart is still not satisfied. What we think our flaws are can be an idol in our life.
Many of you might be even struggling with acne and your self-esteem is low. God cares about the heart. The only way to stop this is to take your confidence off of self and put it on the Lord. Stop looking at mirrors all the time and focus on God. When your focus is on God you don’t have time to focus on things that are wasting away.
Humans will waste away, money will waste away, possessions will waste away, but God remains the same. Usually we care about how we look more than other people care about how we look and we make a big deal out of nothing. Trust in the Lord. Pray that God teaches you to trust in Him and not your appearance.
4. Isaiah 26:3 “You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.”
5. 1 Peter 3:3-4 “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.”
6. Psalm 139:14 “I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well.”
We are not to put our confidence in people.
People will fail you, people make mistakes, people break promises, people will sin against you, people are not all-powerful, man is not omnipresent, man is sinful, man’s love is tiny compared to God’s great love. Man is so small compared to God.
There is a peace and comfort that God gives that the most loving mother could never give. Put your confidence in Him. Even a close friend can say things about you and that can bring your confidence down. That is why God is to be our only confidence. He never fails.
7. Micah 7:5 “Do not trust a neighbor; put no confidence in a friend. Even with the woman who lies in your embrace guard the words of your lips.”
8. Psalm 118:8 “It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.”
9. Proverbs 11:13 “A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy person keeps a secret.”
When you put your confidence in self, it fails in the end.
10. Nehemiah 6:16 “When all our enemies heard about this, all the surrounding nations were afraid and lost their self-confidence, because they realized that this work had been done with the help of our God.”
11. Psalm 73:26 “My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.”
Often times people put their confidence in their situation instead of the Lord.
I am guilty of doing this. When this happens we easily get discouraged, scared, confused, etc. When your confidence is in the Lord nothing on Earth can scare you. You have to learn how to be still and know that God is in control of the situation.
Stop trusting in the flesh and what you can do for yourself. Is there anything too hard for God? God can do more for you in one second than you can do in a lifetime. Trust in Him. Get closer to His presence. Seek Him. He will deliver you. God has always been my confidence even when there were small doubts. He has never let me down. Get to know Him and your trust in Him will increase. Spend time with Him in prayer. When you’re confident in the Lord you will be confident in other areas in your life.
12. Jeremiah 17:7 “The man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence indeed is the LORD, is blessed.”
13. Psalm 71:4-5 “Deliver me, my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of those who are evil and cruel. For you have been my hope, Sovereign LORD, my confidence since my youth.”
14. Proverbs 14:26 “In the fear of the LORD one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge.”
15. Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
As believers we must put our confidence in Christ alone.
Our salvation is because His righteous was passed to us. We have nothing to offer. We have no confidence in ourselves whatsoever. We’re not good. It’s not because we tithe. It’s not because we give. It’s all by His grace. Any good that happens to you is all by His grace. Our good works are nothing, but filthy rags.
Jesus paid our fine and took upon our sin. Even when we repent it is only possible by God’s grace. It is God who draws us to Himself. We are confident that all our sins are gone. We are confident that when we die we will be with our Lord and Savior. Jesus Christ alone and nothing else. We live by faith.
16. Philippians 3:3-4 “For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh–though I myself have reasons for such confidence. If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more.”
17. 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 “Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. For we live by faith, not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.”
18. Hebrews 10:17-19 “Then he adds: “Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more.” And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary. Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus.”
19. Hebrews 11:1 “Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.”
We must have confidence in prayer.
Many people wonder how can we have joy in our trials? When you are so focused on the trial, then you will not be able to seek joy in the Lord. God helps to calm down your heart. When you are confident in the Lord you know that there are many promises in Scripture that you can pray for. “God you said my mind would be at peace if I trust in you. Help me to trust.” God will honor that prayer and He will give you a special peace in Him.
Confidence in prayer is only achieved by having special intimate alone time with God. Some people are just all about principles. Some people know what God can do and they know all about God, but they don’t know God intimately. They have never been alone with Him for hours to seek His face.
They never prayed for more of His presence in their lives. Does your heart thirst for more of Him? Do you seek God so much that sometimes you would rather die than not get to know Him? This is where confidence comes from. We can’t afford not to be alone with God.
You want confidence that your prayers will be answered. You want confidence in Him in the hardest situations. You want a boldness in your life that you never had before. You get alone with God every day. Find a lonely place and cry out for more of Him.
20. Hebrews 4:16 “Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”
21. 1 John 5:14 “This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him.”
Patience reveals a heart that is confident in the Lord.
We must be still and wait on the Lord in any situation that we may face in life. Be confident in this that He who began a good work in you will finish it. God will never leave you and He promises to work in you until the end conforming you into the image of Christ.
22. Hebrews 10:35-36 “So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.”
23. Philippians 1:6 “Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
Follow the Lord with confidence.
Evidence that we are saved is the work of the Holy Spirit in your life leading you in obedience. When you’re living in the will of God you become more confident. You are more bold and you know you have nothing to hide.
24. 1 John 2:3 “And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments.”
25. 1 John 4:16-18 “If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God. And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.”