Bible verses about women’s beauty
Our world is obsessed with its standard of beauty. Women consistently report feeling inadequate after watching a commercial for a beauty product that features a highly altered image of a woman.
Beauty is something that most women secretly long to achieve, but is this biblical? What makes someone beautiful according to Scripture?
“I want to stop comparing and start celebrating who God made me to be.”
“A God-fearing woman, is beautiful from the inside out.”
“Beauty isn’t about having a pretty face it’s about having a pretty mind, a pretty heart, and a pretty soul.”
“Nothing is more beautiful than a woman who is brave, strong and emboldened because of who Christ is in her.”
“The most beautiful women I’ve ever observed are those that have exchanged a self-focused life for a Christ-focused one.”
What does the Bible say about beauty?
The Bible does talk about beauty. God created each of us uniquely, and thus He created beauty. Having beauty is not a sin and it is something to thank God for.
1. Song of Solomon 4:7 “You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in you.”
2. Isaiah 4:2 “In that day the branch of the Lord shall be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the land shall be the pride and honor of the survivors of Israel.”
3. Proverbs 3:15 “She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her.”
4. Psalm 8:5 “Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor.”
5. Genesis 1:27 “God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.”
6. Song of Songs 1:15-16 “How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Your eyes are doves. 16 How handsome you are, my beloved! Oh, how charming! And our bed is verdant.”
7. Song of Solomon 2:10 “My beloved spoke to me: “Get up, my darling, my beautiful one, and come on.”
What is more precious than external beauty, is inner beauty. The Bible says that someone is beautiful who brings good news – specifically if they help to bring peace, proclaim the Gospel, and tells others about Jesus.
We become more and more radiantly beautiful as we are sanctified – for in that way, we are made more and more like Jesus. External beauty will fade, but each day our inner beauty can blossom.
8. Isaiah 52:7 “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, “Your God reigns.”
9. Proverbs 27:19 “Just as water reflects the face, so the heart reflects the person.”
10. Proverbs 6:25 “Do not desire her beauty in your heart, Nor let her capture you with her eyelids.”
11. 2 Corinthians 3:18 “And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.”
12. Psalm 34:5 “Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed.”
13. Matthew 6:25 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?”
14. 2 Corinthians 4:16 “That’s why we are not discouraged. No, even if outwardly we are wearing out, inwardly we are being renewed each and every day.”
15. Matthew 5:8 “How blessed are those who are pure in heart, because it is they who will see God!”
Traits of a godly woman
It isn’t sinful to dress nicely or to wear moderate amounts of makeup. It can be, depending on the motives of the heart. But just trying to look nice in and of itself isn’t sinful. The Bible says that our focus doesn’t need to be our external appearance, but instead we need to focus on having a quiet and gentle spirit. Strength, dignity, and fear of the Lord is what makes a woman beautiful, much more so than her face.
16. 1 Peter 3:3-4 “Do not let your adorning be external – the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear – but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious.”
17. Proverbs 31:30 “Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.”
18. 1 Timothy 2:9-10 “Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.”
19. Proverbs 31:25 “Strength and honour are her clothing, And she rejoiceth at a latter day.”
20. Proverbs 3:15-18 “She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her; those who hold her fast are called blessed.”
How God sees you
God our creator has knit each of us together in the womb. He says that we are wonderfully made. God looks at our hearts to judge us, and not by our outward appearance. God sees us initially as sinners. But even in our wicked state, Christ died for us. He loved us, not because of how we looked, or because we had something inside us that was worth saving. He chose to love us.
And when we are saved, the blood of Christ covers us. At that point when God sees us, He no longer sees us as sinners in need of saving – sinners who are guilty of breaking all of the laws – but he sees us as completely redeemed and justified. And even more so, He sees Christ’s imputed righteousness upon us and our progressive sanctification. He will make everything beautiful in its time – including us.
21. Psalm 139:14 “Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.”
22. 1 Samuel 16:7 “But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees; man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”
23. Ecclesiastes 3:11 “He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man’s heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.”
24. Romans 5:8 “But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
25. Psalm 138:8 “The Lord will work out his plans for my life—for your loving-kindness, Lord, continues forever. Don’t abandon me—for you made me.”
26. 2 Corinthians 12:9 “And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness. Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.”
27. Hebrews 2:10 “For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things, and through whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to perfect the author of their salvation through sufferings.”
Encouraging Bible verses for women
The Bible clearly explains how a woman can grow in beauty – present themselves with modesty and self-control, fearing the Lord, and growing in His grace.
28. Proverbs 31:26 “Her mouth she hath opened in wisdom, And the law of kindness is on her tongue.”
29. Proverbs 31:10 “An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels.”
30. Isaiah 62:3 “You shall be a crown of beauty in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of your God.”
31. Zechariah 9:17 “For how great is his goodness, and how great his beauty! Grain shall make the young men flourish, and new wine the young women.”
32. Isaiah 61:3 “To grant to those who mourn in Zion— to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit; that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified.”
33. Psalm 46:5 “God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.”
34. Proverbs 11:16 “A woman of gentle grace gets respect, but men of rough violence grab for loot.”
35. 1 Timothy 3:11 “In the same way, the women are to be worthy of respect not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.”
Beautiful women in the Bible
There are several women in the Bible that are noted for their physical beauty. Esther, Queen Vashti, Sarai, etc. But as this list shows, physical beauty only goes so far. Esther and Sarai worshipped the Lord, but Vashti did not.
But more than physical beauty the Bible talks about inner beauty. A woman who loves others like Christ, is temperate and respectful, and is also kindhearted is considered especially beautiful. Hannah is such a woman, and so is Tabitha.
36. Esther 2:7 “He was bringing up Hadassah, that is Esther, the daughter of his uncle, for she had neither father nor mother. The young woman had a beautiful figure and was lovely to look at, and when her father and her mother died, Mordecai took her as his own daughter.”
37. Genesis 12:11 “When he was about to enter Egypt, he said to Sarai his wife, “I know that you are a woman beautiful in appearance.”
38. 1 Samuel 2:1 “Then Hannah prayed and said: My heart rejoices in the Lord; in the Lord my horn is lifted high. My mouth boasts over my enemies; for I delight in your deliverance.”
39. Acts 9:36 “In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (in Greek her name is Dorcas); she was always doing good and helping the poor.”
40. Ruth 3:11 “And now, my daughter, don’t be afraid. I will do for you all you ask. All the people of my town know that you are a woman of noble character.”
While it isn’t sinful to have physical beauty, it shouldn’t be the primary goal of women. Rather, women should strive for inner beauty, a heart that loves the Lord.