What does the Bible say about happiness?
Have you ever wondered how are we able to be happy? Where does happiness come from? It is a gift from God. True happiness is only found in Jesus Christ. Nothing gives you an everlasting joy and happiness like Jesus Christ. Many people try to substitute Christ for other things to make them happy such as sin, works, ice-cream, hobbies, possessions, and more, but this joy only lasts for a moment.
Then, you will go back feeling more miserable when you are done and when you are alone. We were not made to live without Christ. We need Christ and all we have is Christ. If you want happiness and joy you must trust and rest upon Him. These inspirational happiness Bible verses include translations from the KJV, ESV, NIV, NASB, NKJV, NLT, and more.
Christian quotes about happiness
“We die daily. Happy those who daily come to life as well.” George Macdonald
“He, who always waits upon God, is ready whensoever he calls. He is a happy man who so lives that death at all times may find him at leisure to die.” Owen Feltham
“Happy the soul that has been awed by a view of God’s majesty.” A. W. Pink
“It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.” Charles Spurgeon
“Man is bored, because he is too big to be happy with that which sin is giving him.” A.W. Tozer
“Do not let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
“It is a Christian duty . . . for everyone to be as happy as he can.” C.S. Lewis
“Joy is distinctly a Christian word and a Christian thing. It is the reverse of happiness. Happiness is the result of what happens of an agreeable sort. Joy has its springs deep down inside. And that spring never runs dry, no matter what happens. Only Jesus gives that joy.”
“Life is a gift. Never forget to enjoy and bask in every moment you are in.”
“Every man, whatsoever his condition, desires to be happy.” —Saint Augustine
“The happiness which God designs for His higher creatures is the happiness of being freely, voluntarily united to Him and to each other in an ecstasy of love and delight compared with which the most rapturous love between a man and a woman on this earth is mere milk and water.” – C.S. Lewis
“Do not let your happiness depend on something you may lose… only (upon) the Beloved who will never pass away.” C.S. Lewis
“Man was not originally made to mourn; he was made to rejoice. The Garden of Eden was his place of happy abode, and as long as he continued in obedience to God, nothing grew in that Garden that could cause him sorrow.” —Charles Spurgeon
“There is no man upon the earth who isn’t earnestly seeking after happiness, and it appears abundantly by the variety of ways they so vigorously seek it; they will twist and turn every way, ply all instruments, to make themselves happy men.” Jonathan Edwards
“Intimate experimental acquaintance with Him will make us truly happy. Nothing else will. If we are not happy Christians (I speak deliberately, I speak advisedly) there is something wrong. If we did not close the past year in a happy frame of spirit, the fault is ours, and ours alone. In God our Father, and the blessed Jesus, our souls have a rich, divine, imperishable, eternal treasure. Let us enter into practical possession of these true riches; yea, let the remaining days of our earthly pilgrimage be spent in an ever-increasing, devoted, earnest consecration of our souls to God.” George Muller
“When large numbers of people share their joy in common, the happiness of each is greater because each adds fuel to the other’s flame.” Augustine
“God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.” C.S. Lewis
“We think life is about making money, buying material goods, and finding happiness as the media and our environment defines it. We search for fulfillment in things that are temporary, things that will be left behind once we have passed on.” Nicole C. Calhoun
9 quick benefits of being happy
- Happiness helps you to keep your mind on the Lord.
- Being happy improves your health. Happiness protects your heart and strengthens your immune system.
- Happiness helps you to interact with others and make more friends.
- Happiness helps you to stay focused.
- Happiness helps every situation such as marriage, parenthood, work, stress, trials, etc.
- It is contagious
- Happiness leads to giving more to the poor and needy.
- Being happy makes you more content.
- Happiness boosts your productivity.
What is happiness in the Bible?
Happiness is a gift from the Lord. Most of this article is about us finding true happiness in God. However, let’s take a moment to talk about God’s happiness. Believers can rejoice because God has made a way for us to be right with Him through the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. Due to the perfect work of Jesus Christ, we can now know Him and enjoy Him. What a glorious privilege!
Let’s not look to what we can do for God. No! It’s about what He has already done for us. Not our works, but the perfect work of Christ on the cross. When we realize the significance of the cross of Christ, we then realize that when God sees us, He rejoices in happiness because He sees the perfect work of Christ. God delights in you and He loves you deeply. Happiness and joy is only possible because of God! Praise the Lord for His goodness and this amazing gift.
1. James 1:17 “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”
2. Zephaniah 3:17 “The Lord your God is with you. He is like a powerful soldier. He will save you. He will show how much he loves you and how happy he is with you. He will laugh and be happy about you.”
3. Ecclesiastes 5:19 “And it is a good thing to receive wealth from God and the good health to enjoy it. To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life—this is indeed a gift from God.”
There is a difference between happiness and joy
Happiness is dependent on circumstances, but true joy and true happiness comes from our faith in Jesus Christ. Joy and true happiness is everlasting because the source of it is everlasting.
4. Philippians 4:11-13 “Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.“
5. Philippians 4:19 “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.“
Happiness is contagious
Not only does a happy heart benefit you, but it benefits others as well. Who would you rather hang around with, someone who is always sad or someone who is always happy? Happiness is a very contagious thing and it makes more people happy.
6. Proverbs 15:13 “A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit.“
7. Proverbs 17:22 “A cheerful heart brings good healing, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.“
8. Romans 12:15 “Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep.”
True happiness is achieved by resting upon the Lord.
9. Psalm 144:15 “Happy is that people, that is in such a case: yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD.“
10. Psalm 68:3 “But the godly are happy; they rejoice before God and are overcome with joy.“
11. Psalm 146:5 “Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God.“
12. Proverbs 16:20 “He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.“
Where is your happiness coming from?
Don’t let your happiness and peace come from your performance on your walk of faith. You will be miserable. Allow your joy and peace to come from the finished work of Christ on the cross.
13. Hebrews 12:2 “fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.“
14. Psalm 144:15 “Happy is that people, that is in such a case: yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD.”
Are you searching for happiness in all the wrong places?
Things will never give you true happiness. Stuff is killing us in this world. Things are only obstacles that get in the way of an eternal perspective. Some of the wealthiest people are some of the saddest. You might see them smiling in photos, but wait until they get alone. Things will never fill the loneliness in your heart. It will only keep you longing for more in your pursuit of happiness.
15. Proverbs 27:20 “Just as Death and Destruction are never satisfied, so human desire is never satisfied.“
16. 1 John 2:16-17 “For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.“
17. Luke 12:15 “And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”
18. Ecclesiastes 5:10 “Whoever loves money will never be satisfied with money. Whoever loves wealth will never be satisfied with more income. Even this is pointless.”
Bible verses about finding happiness
19. Psalm 37:4 “Be happy with the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”
20. Psalm 16:11 “You make the path of life known to me. Complete joy is in your presence. Pleasures are by your side forever.”
21. Ephesians 5:15-16 “Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.”
22. 2 Corinthians 4:17 “For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.”
23. Romans 8:28 “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”
24. Romans 8:18 “I consider that our present sufferings are not comparable to the glory that will be revealed in us.”
Bible verses about happiness in marriage
25. Deuteronomy 24:5 “If a man has recently married, he must not be sent to war or have any other duty laid on him. For one year he is to be free to stay at home and bring happiness to the wife he has married.”
26. Proverbs 5:18 “May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.”
27. Genesis 2:18 “Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”
Obedience brings happiness
Unrepentant sin leads to depression and decreases happiness. You must come to repentance. Repent of that sin that is bothering you and run to Christ for forgiveness.
28. Proverbs 4:23 “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.“
29. Psalm 32:3-5 “When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long. For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin.“
30. Psalm 128:2 “For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee.”
31. Proverbs 29:18 “Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.”
32. Proverbs 14:21 “He who despises his neighbor sins; But he who has mercy on the poor, happy is he.”
33. Proverbs 16:20 “He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.”
34. Isaiah 52:7 “How delightful on the mountains Are the feet of one who brings good news, Who announces peace And brings good news of happiness, Who announces salvation, And says to Zion, “Your God reigns!”
35. Psalm 19:8 “The commandments of the LORD are right, bringing joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are clear, giving insight for living.”
36. Psalm 119:140 “Your promise is completely pure; therefore Your servant loves it.”
What are you feeding your mind? Negative things decrease your happiness as well.
37. Philippians 4:8-9 “Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.“
Read God’s Word daily: Wisdom and fear of the Lord brings happiness.
38. Proverbs 3:17-18 “She will guide you down delightful paths; all her ways are satisfying. Wisdom is a tree of life to those who embrace her; happy are those who hold her tightly.“
39. Psalm 128:1-2 “A Song of Ascents. How blessed is everyone who fears the LORD, Who walks in His ways. When you shall eat of the fruit of your hands, You will be happy and it will be well with you.“
40. 1 Kings 10:8 “Happy are thy men, happy are these thy servants, which stand continually before thee, and that hear thy wisdom.”
41. Proverbs 3:13-14 “Happy is the man who finds wisdom, And the man who gains understanding; For her proceeds are better than the profits of silver, And her gain than fine gold.”
42. Romans 14:22 “Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.”
43. Proverbs 19:8 “He who acquires wisdom loves himself; one who safeguards understanding will find success.”
44. Proverbs 28:14 “Happy is the man that feareth alway: but he that hardeneth his heart shall fall into mischief.”
Jesus is the answer. Go to Him.
45. Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”
46. Psalm 146:5 “Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the LORD his God.”
47. Psalm 34:8 “Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!”
We must pray for true happiness in Christ daily.
48. Psalm 4:6-7 “Many people say, “Who will show us better times?” Let your face smile on us, LORD. You have given me greater joy than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine.”
When you put your trust in the Lord you will have peace and joy in the trials.
49. Proverbs 31:25 She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.
50. Psalm 9:9-12 The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you. Sing the praises of the LORD, enthroned in Zion; proclaim among the nations what he has done.
51. Isaiah 26:3-4 You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD himself, is the Rock eternal.
52. Ecclesiastes 2:26 “To the person who pleases Him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.”
53. Proverbs 10:28″ The hopes of the godly result in happiness, but the expectations of the wicked come to nothing.”
54. Job 5:17 “Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty.”
55. 1 Peter 3:14 “But and if ye suffer for righteousness’ sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled.”
56. 2 Corinthians 7:4 “I trust you completely. I am always proud of you, and I am greatly encouraged. In all my trouble I am still very happy.”
57. Ecclesiastes 9:7 “Go then, eat your bread in happiness, and drink your wine with a cheerful heart; for God has already approved your works.”
58. Psalm 16:8-9 “I keep my eyes always on the LORD. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure.”
59. Philippians 4:7 “And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
60. Psalm 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”
61. 2 Corinthians 12:10 “I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and difficulties for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
62. Psalm 126:5 “Those who plant in tears will harvest with shouts of joy.”
63. Philippians 4:11-13 “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”
64. 2 Corinthians 1:3 “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort.”
We are called to enjoy life in the present. It is a gift from the Lord.
65. Ecclesiastes 3:12-13 I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil–this is the gift of God.
Praising God in happiness
When you are happy what do you do? Every single time that I’m happy I give God praise because I know it is only possible because of Him. Always give God glory for every piece of happiness and give Him the glory when you are feeling down. God will refuel your joy.
66. James 5:13 Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise.
67. Ecclesiastes 7:14 When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider this: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, no one can discover anything about their future.
68. 1 Corinthians 10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
69. Psalm 100:1-2 “Shout with joy to the Lord, all the earth! 2 Worship the Lord with gladness. Come before him, singing with joy.”
70. Psalm 118:24 “This is the day the Lord has made. Let’s rejoice and be glad today!”
71. Psalm 16:8-9 “I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. 9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure.”
72. Philippians 4:4 “Keep on rejoicing in the Lord at all times. I will say it again: Keep on rejoicing!”
73. Psalm 106:48 “Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting. Let all the people say, “Amen!” Hallelujah!”
Examples of happiness in the Bible
74. Genesis 30:13 “Then Leah said, “How happy I am! The women will call me happy.” So she named him Asher.”
75. 2 Chronicles 9:7-8 “How happy your people must be! How happy your officials, who continually stand before you and hear your wisdom! Praise be to the LORD your God, who has delighted in you and placed you on his throne as king to rule for the LORD your God. Because of the love of your God for Israel and his desire to uphold them forever, he has made you king over them, to maintain justice and righteousness.”
76. Deuteronomy 33:29 “Happy are you, O Israel! Who is like you, a people saved by the LORD, the shield of your help, and the sword of your triumph! Your enemies shall come fawning to you, and you shall tread upon their backs.”
77. Psalm 137:8 “Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is the one who repays you according to what you have done to us.”
78. Lamentations 3:17-18 “My soul has been excluded from peace; I have forgotten happiness. So I say, “My strength has failed, And so has my hope from the LORD.”
79. Ecclesiastes 10:17 “Happy are you, O land, when your king is the son of the nobility, and your princes feast at the proper time, for strength, and not for drunkenness!”
80. Acts 26:2 “I think myself happy, king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before thee touching all the things whereof I am accused of the Jews.”
81. 2 Chronicles 7:10 “Then on the twenty-third day of the seventh month he sent the people to their tents, rejoicing and happy in heart because of the goodness that the LORD had shown to David, to Solomon, and to His people Israel.”
82. 3 John 1:3 “Some of the traveling teachers recently returned and made me very happy by telling me about your faithfulness and that you are living according to the truth.”
83. Matthew 25:23 “Wonderful!” his master replied. “You are a good and faithful servant. I left you in charge of only a little, but now I will put you in charge of much more. Come and share in my happiness!”
84. Deuteronomy 33:18 “Be happy, Zebulun, as your boats set sail; be happy, Issachar, in your tents.”
85. Joshua 22:33 “The Israelites were happy and praised God. There was no more talk about going to war and wiping out the tribes of Reuben and Gad.”
86. 1 Samuel 2:1 “Hannah prayed: You make me strong and happy, LORD. You rescued me. Now I can be glad and laugh at my enemies.”
87. 1 Samuel 11:9 They said to the messengers who had come, “You shall say to the men of Jabesh-gilead: ‘Tomorrow, by the time the sun is hot, you will have help [against the Ammonites].’” So the messengers came and reported this to the men of Jabesh; and they were overjoyed.
88. 1 Samuel 18:6 “David had killed Goliath, the battle was over, and the Israelite army set out for home. As the army went along, women came out of each Israelite town to welcome King Saul. They were celebrating by singing songs and dancing to the music of tambourines and harps.”
89. 1 Kings 4:20 “There were so many people living in Judah and Israel while Solomon was king that they seemed like grains of sand on a beach. Everyone had enough to eat and drink, and they were happy.”
90. 1 Chronicles 12:40 “Other Israelites from as far away as the territories of Issachar, Zebulun, and Naphtali brought cattle and sheep to slaughter for food. They also brought donkeys, camels, mules, and oxen that were loaded down with flour, dried figs and raisins, wine, and olive oil. Everyone in Israel was very happy.”
Psalm 37:3 Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.