Bible verses about running
Running of all kinds whether jogging, doing marathons, etc. reminds me of the Christian life. It might hurt, but you have to keep on running. Some days you might feel so discouraged and feel like you have let God down and because of it you might feel like quitting.
But the Spirit inside Christians will never allow Christians to quit. You must run understanding God’s grace. Even days when you don’t feel like running you have to run. Think about the love of Christ. He kept on moving through humiliation.
He kept on moving through the pain. His mind was on God’s great love for Him. It is the love of God that will motivate you to keep pushing. Know that when you keep moving something is happening to you. You are doing God’s will. You are transforming spiritually and physically. These verses are to inspire Christian runners to run not only for exercise, but to also run the Christian race.
- “Do not be lazy. Run each day’s race with all your might, so that at the end you will receive the victory wreath from God. Keep on running even when you have had a fall. The victory wreath is won by him who does not stay down, but always gets up again, grasps the banner of faith and keeps on running in the assurance that Jesus is Victor.” Basilea Schlink
- I didn’t feel like running today. Which is exactly why I went.
- Sometimes the best runs come on days you didn’t feel like running.
- Running is not about being better than someone else, it’s about being better than you used to be.
- Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.’
When you are exercising think about running the race as a Christian to motivate you to run.
1. 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 You know that in a race all the runners run but only one wins the prize, don’t you? You must run in such a way that you may be victorious. Everyone who enters an athletic contest practices self-control in everything. They do it to win a wreath that withers away, but we run to win a prize that never fades.
2. Philippians 3:12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.
3. Philippians 3:14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
4. 2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Run with a goal in mind and that goal is Christ and doing His will.
5. Corinthians 9:26-27 That is the way I run, with a clear goal in mind. That is the way I fight, not like someone shadow boxing. No, I keep on disciplining my body, making it serve me so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not somehow be disqualified.
6. Hebrews 12:2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
7. Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
8. Proverbs 4:25 Let your eyes look straight ahead; fix your gaze directly before you.
9. Acts 20:24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me–the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.
Running is a great way to let go and leave the past behind us. As Christians we run and we leave the bitterness, the regret, and our past failures behind. We move on from all that stuff. With running you can’t look back or it will slow you down, you have to keep on looking forward.
10. Philippians 3:13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself to have attained this. Instead I am single-minded: Forgetting the things that are behind and reaching out for the things that are ahead,
11. Job 17:9 The righteous keep moving forward, and those with clean hands become stronger and stronger.
12. Isaiah 43:18 Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old.
Run on the right path. You are not going to run on a path of thorns and you are not going to run on a rocky surface with cleats on. Cleats on a rocky surface represent sin and things holding you back to run effectively on your run with God.
13. Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.
14. Proverbs 4:26-27 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways. Do not turn to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil.
15. Isaiah 26:7 But for those who are righteous, the way is not steep and rough. You are a God who does what is right, and you smooth out the path ahead of them.
16. Proverbs 4:18-19 The path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, shining brighter and brighter until midday. But the way of the wicked is like the darkest gloom; they don’t know what makes them stumble.
Don’t let anyone or anything discourage you and keep you off the right path. Keep on running.
17. Galatians 5:7 You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth?
In any type of running and persevering there is always some type of benefits whether physical or spiritual.
18. 2 Chronicles 15:7 But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.”
19. 1 Timothy 4:8 For while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
When you are running remember that you are not alone.
20. Job 34:21 “His eyes are on the ways of mortals; he sees their every step.
21. Isaiah 41:10 Fear thou not, for I am with thee; be not dismayed, for I am thy God; I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
Pray and give God the glory before every run. He strengthens us and it is only possible because of Him.
22. Psalm 60:12 With God’s help we will do mighty things, for he will trample down our foes.
Motivational verses that have helped me when exercising.
23. 2 Samuel 22:33-34 It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he causes me to stand on the heights.
24. Philippians 4:13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
25. Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Bonus: Take care of your body
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.