Bible verses about humility
You cannot get through your Christian walk of faith without being humble. Without humbleness you will not be able to do God’s will. Even when He convicts you in prayer you will say I’m not going to do that. You will make every excuse in the world. Pride can eventually lead to making mistakes, financial ruin, and more.
I know because there was a time when pride almost caused me to miss out on one of God’s blessings and end up in ruin. Without humility you will end up going into the wrong door instead of the door that God has placed for you.
Humility is from God. He had to humble Himself, but yet we don’t want to humble ourselves. Even as a Christian my flesh does not want to be humble. I can’t say that I am a humble person.
I struggle in this area. My only hope is in Christ. The source of true humility. God is working in me to make me more humble. Through different situations it is awesome to see God bringing out the fruits of meekness from my life. God needs more humble men and women in this wicked generation. Look at these Christian bookstores that have books by professing Christians that have a title like “how to look like me” and “how to be successful like me.”
It is disgusting! You see nothing about God and you see nothing humble about that. God wants to use men and women who are going to give Him all the glory. He wants to use people who are going to boast in Him and not themselves. With true humility you are going to listen to the Lord and serve the Lord without being puffed up and conceited.
- “Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God’s majesty.” John Calvin
- Only the poor in spirit can be humble. How often the experience, growth, and progress of a Christian become such precious matters to him that he loses his lowliness.” Watchman Nee
- “The only humility that is really ours is not that which we try to show before God in prayer, but that which we carry with us in our daily conduct.” Andrew Murray
- “True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.” ― C.S. Lewis
God showed humility and He humbled Himself and came down from Heaven in the form of man.
1. Philippians 2:6-8 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!
2. 2 Corinthians 8:9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.
3. Romans 15:3 For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: “The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me.”
We are to humble ourselves and imitate God.
4. James 4:10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor.
5. Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6. Micah 6:8 No, O people, the LORD has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
God humbles us
7. 1 Samuel 2:7 The LORD sends poverty and wealth; he humbles and he exalts.
8. Deuteronomy 8:2-3 Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.
Without humility you will not want to confess your sins. You will lie to yourself and say I’m not sinning God is OK with this.
9. 2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
The easy way is humbling yourself. The hard way is God having to humble you.
10. Matthew 23:10-12 And do not be called masters either, because you have one Master, the Messiah. The greatest among you will be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
God opposes the proud.
11. James 4:6 But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”
12. Proverbs 3:34 He mocks proud mockers but shows favor to the humble and oppressed.
We must see that we are sinners in need of a Savior. Without humility you will not come to the Lord. Pride is the reason for so many atheists.
13. Romans 3:22-24 This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.
Humility leads us to depend on the Lord and follow His ways.
14. Jeremiah 10:23 I know, O LORD, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.
15. James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Pride leads to being a Pharisee and thinking that you are without sin.
16. 1 John 1:8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
Humility allows us to care for others. Not only are we to be humble before God, but we are to be humble before others.
Having humility when dealing with others is more than just not acting like you are better than someone. You show humility when you are able to forgive someone and even apologize for something that might not even be your fault. You show humility by bearing someone else’s burden. Share a testimony or failure that you don’t really like talking about that can possibly help others. Regardless what anyone says you have to humble yourself to correct a brother especially when God is telling you to do it. You even show humility by putting “I” in the equation when rebuking someone.
For example, when you are correcting someone you can go in for the kill and just start nailing them with words or you can throw some grace in there. You can say I needed help in this area. God has been working in me in this area. It is always good to humble yourself when correcting someone. Humble yourself in a conflict or when dealing with an insulting person by remaining calm and holding back.
17. 1 Peter 5:5 In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”
18. Philippians 2:3-4 Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.
Humility brings wisdom and honor.
19. Proverbs 11:2 When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.
20. Proverbs 22:4 By humility and the fear of the LORD are riches, and honour, and life.
The longer it takes you to humble yourself the harder your heart becomes.
21. Exodus 10:3 So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said to him, “This is what the LORD, the God of the Hebrews, says: ‘How long will you refuse to humble yourself before me? Let my people go, so that they may worship me.
Refusing to humble yourself will lead to disaster.
22. 1 Kings 21:29 “Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself, I will not bring this disaster in his day, but I will bring it on his house in the days of his son.”
23. 2 Chronicles 12:7 When the LORD saw that they humbled themselves, this word of the LORD came to Shemaiah: “Since they have humbled themselves, I will not destroy them but will soon give them deliverance. My wrath will not be poured out on Jerusalem through Shishak.
When you are not humble you forget everything the Lord has done for you and start thinking I did this on my own.
Even though you don’t say it you think it was all me and none of God. Humility is a great thing when we enter into a trial because as Christians we know that God has provided everything for us and in this trial no matter how dark it may seem God will continue to provide for our needs.
24. Deuteronomy 8:17-18 You may say to yourself, “My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.” But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today.
25. Judges 7:2 The LORD said to Gideon, “You have too many men. I cannot deliver Midian into their hands, or Israel would boast against me, ‘My own strength has saved me.’
Bonus – Humility stops us from thinking it’s because I’m so good. It’s because I obey God and because I’m better than everyone else.
Deuteronomy 9:4 After the LORD your God has driven them out before you, do not say to yourself, “The LORD has brought me here to take possession of this land because of my righteousness.” No, it is on account of the wickedness of these nations that the LORD is going to drive them out before you.
Once again you can’t put your trust in Christ without humility. Humility doesn’t mean that you are a wimp and you have to let people take advantage of you. It is a fruit of the Spirit that is inside all believers.
Check your attitude and check your motives for doing certain things. Especially when you have a talent, you have strength, you have wisdom, you’re a great theologian and you know more about the Bible than others, etc. In your mind are you being arrogant? Are you purposely trying to impress others and show off? Are you constantly boasting in your achievements?
Are you working on humility in every aspect of your life? By every aspect I mean in your appearance and the clothes that you wear, your speech, edifying others, confessing sins daily, obeying God’s Word, being more thankful for what you have, responding faster to God’s will, giving God more glory, relying more on God, etc. These are things that we all need help in and we should all pray for today.