Bible verses about the prosperity gospel
I hate the prosperity gospel! It is of the devil. It is not the gospel. It kills the gospel and it is sending millions to Hell. I’m tired of people pimping the gospel and selling lies. You are nothing and you have nothing apart from Jesus Christ. Many people only seek Christ for what He can give and not for Him. It was a bloody cross!
Repentance and faith in Christ results in sacrifice, a turning away from worldliness, taking up your cross, a denial of self, a harder life.
Joel Osteen, Creflo Dollar, Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn, T.D Jakes, Joyce Meyer, and Mike Murdock are working for Satan.
Even the devil can say a few biblical things, but these prosperity preachers are sending millions to Hell.
The people in their congregation don’t want God. They want the same thing that these false teachers want. I once heard a false prophet say, “if you just have faith God is going to give you a jet” and the whole crowd went wild. That is of the devil!
These preachers say you can speak things into existence such as wealth. If we read just a few verses in Scripture it won’t take long before you find out that the Word of Faith movement is a lie.
- “We are settling for a Christianity that revolves around catering to ourselves when the central message of Christianity is actually about abandoning ourselves.” David Platt
- “Prosperity cannot be proof of Gods Favor for this is what the Devil promises to those who worship him” – John Piper
- “The prosperity gospel movement offers people the same thing the devil offers; they just do so in the name of Christ.” – John MacArthur
- “If material things are what you’re talking about when you say ‘I’m blessed’ then you have no idea what real blessings are.”
- “The early church was married to poverty, prisons, and persecutions. Today the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity.” – Leonard Ravenhill.
Most of the time riches are a curse and not a blessing.
After all, the Bible says it is almost impossible for a rich man to enter into Heaven. Do you still desire to be rich? The desire to be rich will put you in a trap and the more you have it gets harder and harder to get out of. I might not be rich, but I am content with the little that I do have.
Just because you are in the ministry does not mean that God wants you to be rich. Just because people around you and even ministers around you are buying expensive cars does not mean you are to follow their lead. You are to follow Christ not things.
1. 1 Timothy 6:6-12 But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content. But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
2. Matthew 19:21-23 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth. Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven.”
Prosperity preachers prey on the weak.
These prosperity preachers are cold-hearted thieves. I don’t care how much you learned from them. They are scoundrels going to Hell. They steal from the poor and give vulnerable desperate people a false hope just to crush them. One time I heard a story about a woman who had a choice of either bringing her child to the doctor or to one of Benny Hinn’s healing crusades.
She chose Benny Hinn and the child ended up dying. Desperate vulnerable people gamble with everything and lose. Some people were going to be evicted and they gave their last $500 to these scoundrels and they lost that money and got evicted while people like Benny Hinn got richer and purchased million dollar homes. That is of the devil and it brings me to tears just to think about how cruel these people are.
What is even worse is that they turn people into atheists. These “come sow your seed with us” people are criminals. They even go to the poorest countries like Africa because people are vulnerable and they leave with fat pockets.
Before I was saved, I remember going to an event with my friend. At the event I heard fake testimonies of how people who gave received miraculous phone calls for $5000. The woman preacher said, “all that you have to do is eat a doughnut” and you will be healed. I noticed my friend’s mom and others pulling out checkbooks and money. The richer get richer and the poorer get poorer.
3. Jeremiah 23:30-31 So I, the LORD, affirm that I am opposed to those prophets who steal messages from one another that they claim are from me. I, the LORD, affirm that I am opposed to those prophets who are using their own tongues to declare, The LORD declares.
4. 2 Peter 2:14 With eyes full of adultery, they never stop sinning; they seduce the unstable; they are experts in greed–an accursed brood!
5. Jeremiah 22:17 “But your eyes and your heart Are intent only upon your own dishonest gain, And on shedding innocent blood And on practicing oppression and extortion.”
Jesus is enough no matter what happens.
Christianity has been built on the blood of men. God allowed His most beloved children to suffer. John the Baptist, David Brainerd, Jim Elliot, Peter, etc. If you take away the suffering of the gospel it is no longer the gospel. I don’t want this prosperity trash. Jesus is enough in the pain.
When the worst possible event happens in our lives God’s true believers praise Him. When you find out that you have cancer Jesus is enough. When you find out that one of your children died in a terrible car accident Jesus is enough. When you just lost your job and the rent is due Jesus is enough. Though you slay me I will still praise you!
This Christian life is bloody and there are going to be a lot of tears. If you don’t want it hand over your badge! Some people are going to go to sleep hungry without shelter for the advancement of God’s Kingdom. This prosperity stuff is garbage.
When is the last time that these criminals went inside the emergency room and preached a sermon of suffering to a mother who was watching her child choke to death? They don’t! Don’t talk to me about the prosperity gospel, the cross was bloody!
6. Job 13:15 Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face.
7. Psalm 73:26 My flesh and my heart may fail, But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
8. 2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
These wolves have invaded God’s house and no one is saying anything.
These wolves substituted cash for the cross. Jesus warned us. These crooked televangelists and maybe even people in your church are selling anointing oil, cloths, and other products. They’re selling the power of God. They are selling God’s healing power for $29.99. This is filth. This is idolatry. It teaches people to choose products over God. Don’t pray just buy it God is taking too long. These mega churches are turning God into a way to make profit in any way they can.
9. 2 Peter 2:3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
10. John 2:16 To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!”
11. Matthew 7:15 Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.
They say things like, “God told me.”
These prosperity preachers say that, “I’ve talked to God and He wants to make me rich.” It’s funny how God never talks to them about sin, greed, repentance, milking the church, etc. It’s only about their benefit. That is of the devil!
12. Jeremiah 23:21 I did not send these prophets, yet they have run with their message; I did not speak to them, yet they have prophesied.
13. Isaiah 56:11 They are dogs with mighty appetites; they never have enough. They are shepherds who lack understanding; they all turn to their own way, they seek their own gain.
Someone who is involved with the prosperity movement emailed me.
He said, “look what we can do with all the wealth. We can change a state, we can change the world, we can build churches. The more money the better.”
What he said saddened me because the church has become more prosperous than ever, but the church is more rotten than it has ever been. More people in the church are going to Hell than ever before. The church has become rich and fat. Why do you think the church is going downhill? It is conforming to the world and the gospel is being watered down.
We’re headed for trouble. Money can’t fix anything that is the problem with people today. We need God back. We need an invasion of God. We need a revival, but people are to preoccupied on everything but God. People go to churches and they come out dead.
Our hearts are cold and only God can save us. Every Christian in America thinks they’re filled with the Holy Spirit, but we are the rottenest nation in the world. How can it be? Lies! A man by the name of John The Baptist didn’t have money. He was filled with the Holy Spirit and he raised a dead nation. Where are we today?
14. Jeremiah 2:13 My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water.
15. Proverbs 11:28 Those who trust in their riches will fall, but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf.
One glimpse of Christ will change you. It will lead to sacrifice.
Notice what happened when Zaccheus repented. He gave half of his possessions to the poor. These prosperity preachers say, “I want more. The more money you give the bigger the return.”
16. Luke 19:8-9 Zaccheus stopped and said to the Lord, “Behold, Lord, half of my possessions I will give to the poor, and if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I will give back four times as much.”And Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because he, too, is a son of Abraham.
Some people use Isaiah 53 to teach that healing was provided for in the atonement. This is wrong.
Understand that I am not saying that God doesn’t heal people, but the atonement gave us healing from sin and not disease. In context we see that it is referring to spiritual healing and not physical healing.
17.Isaiah 53:3-5 He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed.
Many preaches like Joyce Meyer teach that 3 John 1:2 says that God wants you to be prosperous.
You have to really be blinded by prosperity to believe that. You can immediately see that John was not teaching doctrine. It is clear that he was opening his letter with a greeting. Notice his intent. When you write letters you always send blessings. I hope that God blesses you and guides you, the Lord be with you, etc. Also, the prosper in this verse is not referring to material wealth.
18. 3 John 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.
Would John contradict these passages below? Covetousness is idolatry and Scripture makes it clear we have to be on guard against covetousness.
19. 1 John 2:16-17 For everything that is in the world—the desire for fleshly gratification, the desire for possessions, and worldly arrogance—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world and its desires are fading away, but the person who does God’s will remains forever.
20. Ephesians 5:5-7 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them.
21. Matthew 6:24 No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
22. Luke 12:15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
Do you desire God or do you desire to have more things?
God’s major goal is to confirm you into the image of Christ not to give you everything. Now God does indeed bless people, but in times of prosperity that is when God’s people forget Him. When God says, “seek first His Kingdom” in Matthew 6 notice it does not say seek yourself first and I will provide for you. It says seek the Lord and His Kingdom. This promise is for those with the right motives not for people trying to buy a new Benz.
23. Hebrews 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
24. Jeremiah 5:7-9 Why should I forgive you? Your children have forsaken me and sworn by gods that are not gods. I supplied all their needs, yet they committed adultery and thronged to the houses of prostitutes.
25. Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
26. James 4:3-4 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.
27. 1 Timothy 6:17-19 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.
Faith today means more and bigger stuff.
Faith back in the day resulted in more sacrifices. Some saints don’t even have a shirt to change. Jesus didn’t have a place to sleep. He was poor. That should tell you something.
28. Luke 9:58 And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.”
Some false teachers use 2 Corinthians 8 to teach that Jesus died to make you rich.
Even if you are not Christian you know that Jesus didn’t die to make you rich. Also, it is clear that the rich in this passage is not referring to material riches. It is referring to the riches of grace and as heirs of all things. The riches of an eternal crown.
The riches of being reconciled to the Father. The riches of salvation and being new. Through the atonement many things were accomplished. In the same way we ought to empty ourselves as our Savior did for the advancement of the Kingdom. A few verses later in verse 14 the Corinthians were urged to give their wealth to the needy.
29. 2 Corinthians 8:9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich.
If you’re going to a prosperity church or an unbiblical church run!
We have to live in eternity. Everything in this life is going to burn. We have to focus on the Lord. People are dying and going to Hell and these prosperity preachers are worried about more stuff. Who cares about designer clothing and luxury cars? Who cares about if you have the best home? It’s all about Christ. It’s either Jesus is everything or He is nothing.
What do you care about more? Scripture makes it clear that most people who profess to know Christ are going to Hell. Jesus said only a few will enter. It is hard especially for the rich. Some of you reading this right now are going to end up in Hell. God is love, but He also hates. It’s not the sin being thrown into Hell it’s the sinner. You have to repent. This world isn’t worth it.
Turn from your sins and put your trust in the perfect merit of Jesus Christ alone. He died a bloody death, He died a painful death, He died in a terrifying way. I don’t serve a watered down needy Jesus. I serve the Jesus that you will one day bow down before in fear! Is the world worth it? Repent before it’s too late. Cry out to Christ to save you. Trust in Him today.
Mark 8:36 For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?
Philippians 1:29 For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him.