Bible verses about Hell
Hell is probably the most hated truth in the Bible. Many people are afraid to preach on Hell, but Jesus was the greatest Hell fire preacher ever. Search the Scriptures, Jesus preached more about Hell than He did Heaven. It is both easy and hard to go to Hell and here is why.
It is easy because just do nothing. Just live your life without the Lord and you are headed to eternal punishment. It is hard because you are constantly convicted but you say, “no I will not listen.”
Many people have heard the gospel over 20 times. Many people shrug off the fear of God. They close their eyes to the truths in front of their face.
Many people are in Hell right now gnashing their teeth saying, “it was a trick, it was just too easy, I didn’t think I’d be here!” All they had to do was repent and trust in Jesus Christ alone. Sadly people want their best life now. This is not a game.
Like Leonard Ravenhill said, “Hell has no exits.” People pray in Hell, but no one ever answers. It’s too late. There is no hope.
If Hell was for 100 years or 1000 years people would be holding on to that glimpse of hope. But in Hell there are no more chances. Some of your family members are in Hell. Some of your family members and friends are on the their way to Hell. Is Hell fair? Yes, we have sinned against a holy God. He is holy and separated from all evil. The legal system says that criminals have to be punished. With a holy God there is a holy standard and the punishment is more severe.
God made a way. God came down in the form of man and Jesus lived the perfect life we couldn’t live and died for our sins. God freely offers salvation in Jesus Christ. What is unfair is that Jesus died and He offers salvation to sinners like us who don’t deserve it or want it. That is unfair.
Should a holy God allow people to continue to sin, mock Him, curse Him, forsake Him, etc. God doesn’t make you go to Hell people choose to go to Hell. I talked to some Jehovah Witness’s the other day who believed in Heaven, but did not believe in Hell. People just literally want to take it out the Bible. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t make it any less real. No one thinks they are going to Hell until they find themselves burning in Hell.
- “I would rather go to heaven alone than go to hell in company.” R.A. Torrey
- “I willingly believe that the damned are, in one sense, successful, rebels to the end; that the doors of hell are locked on the inside.” C.S. Lewis
- “Hell is the highest reward that the devil can offer you for being a servant of his.” Billy Sunday
- “People do not have to do something to go to hell; they just have to do nothing to go to hell.” John MacArthur
- “If there were no hell, the loss of heaven would be hell.” Charles Spurgeon
- “The hell of hells will be the thought that is forever. The soul sees written over its head, you are damned forever. It hears howlings that are to be perpetual; it sees flames which are unquenchable; it knows pains that are unmitigated.” Charles Spurgeon
Is Hell painful? Yes!
We have to stop these clichés. “God hates the sin but loves the sinner.” It’s not the sin that is going to be thrown into Hell it is the person. In the Bible God afflicted the ungodly in so many ways and that is when He was holding back. You think Hell is going to be darkness and no physical pain when God has caused the ungodly to suffer in the Bible?
Do you think God is going to let mockers go free? Hell is eternal torment. It is going to be more painful than the suffering of Jesus Christ. People in Hell are going to feel God’s fiery wrath. They are going to feel His just vengeance and hatred upon them.
1. Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
2. Psalm 21:8-9 You will capture all your enemies. Your strong right hand will seize all who hate you. You will throw them in a flaming furnace when you appear. The LORD will consume them in his anger; fire will devour them.
3. Matthew 3:12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.
4. Matthew 5:22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.
Many people say things like, “God is love He wouldn’t throw anyone into Hell.” However, the Bible also says that God is holy, God hates, God is just, God is a consuming fire. It is scary when the wrath of God is upon you.
5. Hebrews 10:31 It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
6. Hebrews 12:29 for our God is a consuming fire.
This shows that Hell is fiery torment.
The Rich man was screaming, “help! Have mercy! It’s hot!” It was not poof and he was gone. He was burning in agony. The rich man was pleading, “please, just a little water, just a little water. Warn my brothers!” How can you deny the words of Jesus? Some of your closest friends and maybe even you will one day scream, “I AM IN AGONY IN THIS FIRE, HELP!” Some people are going to say, “this is a parable.” However, that is not true because parables don’t name names. Even if it was a parable is the teaching false? Would Jesus teach in a false way? Jesus is teaching everlasting pain and torment.
7. Luke 16:19-28 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores. “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’ “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us. “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’
Why would Jesus preach on Hell more than anything else?
Why would He warn people so strongly if it were not conscious punishment? Why would He keep on giving these strong warnings? “What’s all the fuss about? I can be passive if I want to.” Why did Jesus come if God has no wrath? What did He save us from? Ask yourself these questions.
That is why when we preach the gospel we always preach on Hell. If you see your child about to fall off of a cliff are you going to quietly say, “stop” or are you going to yell at the top of your lungs? Jesus was serious when it came to Hell.
8. Matthew 23:33 “You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?”
Your worm will not die.
One of my favorite preachers David Wilkerson gave me a whole different perspective on Mark 9:48
This verse says in Hell “their worm will not die” automatically you see that this is not an ordinary worm. This is a personal worm. There was a young man who woke up and found himself in the fiery darkness of Hell, he woke up to the screams of lost souls in Hell. He said, “I can’t be in Hell. If only I had one more chance.” As soon as he said that he woke up. It was all a dream. He was in his living room.
He looked around and he saw his dad having Bible study in the living room and he said, “dad I’m going to get right with God.” This young man closed his eyes and began to call on the name of Jesus. Right before he said Jesus he opened his eyes and he was back in HELL! IT WASN’T A DREAM IT WAS REAL! This worm refers to a guilty conscience that can’t be cured.
Some of you who are reading this will find yourself in Hell and you will go back in time and you will see yourself sitting in church, you will see yourself being taught the same thing over and over, you will remember this article, but you refused to repent. You will never be able to forget.
Some of you reading this will have this continuous worm of torment in Hell. No more getting right with God then. Stop playing Christianity and repent. Turn away from your wickedness! Trust in Christ alone before it’s too late!
9. Mark 9:48 where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.
There will be weeping and gnashing of the teeth.
We’ve all been in pain before. Have you ever accidentally hit something and immediately you yelled or bit down hard? In Hell you will cry like you have never cried before and no one will answer. You had your chance. That is why you will gnash your teeth.
Yes, you will be gnashing your teeth because you are in excruciating pain. You will be gnashing your teeth because you will be more aware of all the chances you had and you will feel the pain of being eternally separated from God. But you will also gnash your teeth because you will think to yourself it was easy! Why? Why didn’t I listen?
You will be brought back into realization that there is no light at the end of this tunnel. YOU’RE IN HELL FOREVER! You will gnash your teeth at God in hatred because you always hated Him. That’s why you wouldn’t listen. You are going to say, “damn you to everybody.” Are you going to roll the dice with your life?
10. Matthew 8:12 But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
11. Matthew 13:42-43 And the angels will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Then the righteous will shine like the sun in their Father’s Kingdom. Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand!
Some people are being held back by friends.
I always see in debates there is a large crowd of atheists cheering for the atheist, but I know many of them doubt and start to think when they get alone. Whatever is holding you back whether it is friends, sin, sex, drugs, partying, porn, etc.
You cut it off now because when you find yourself in Hell you are going to wish you had cut it off. When you’re in Hell you’re not going to be thinking about the popularity or the embarrassment. You will be saying, “I wish I would have listened.” You will be cursing everyone and everything that held you back.
12. Matthew 5:29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
13. Matthew 5:30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.
In Hell there will be both spiritual and bodily destruction.
14. Matthew 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Many people think that they can repent right before they die, but God will not be mocked. If that is your mindset you will lose because you will never pull a fast one on God.
15. Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.
Many people think that Satan is going to be laughing while you are burning in Hell. No! Satan doesn’t rule over Hell. Jesus rules over Hell. Satan will be in torment as well. Hell is the wrath of Almighty God.
16. Revelation 1:18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.
17. Revelation 20:10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
18. Revelation 14:9-10 A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: “If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives its mark on their forehead or on their hand, they, too, will drink the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb.
No sleep in Hell!
I used to struggle with insomnia. Some people don’t know how terrible it is and how painful it is to live without sleep. I used to pray, “oh God have mercy on me. Just let me get some sleep please.” Imagine if you can’t get sleep and you have a huge headache or some type of pain. In Hell there will be no sleep.
You will be tired all the time. Along with tiredness you will be in fire, in pain, continuous guilt, and more. You will be screaming and crying in Hell “all I want is some sleep!”
19. Revelation 14:11 And the smoke of their torment will rise for ever and ever. There will be no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and its image, or for anyone who receives the mark of its name.
20. Isaiah 48:22 There is no peace, saith the LORD, unto the wicked.
Hell is a spiritual darkness and separation from God along with everlasting torment.
Many unbelievers forget that their next breath is because of Jesus Christ. You can’t live without Jesus Christ. In Hell you will be cut off from the presence of the Lord and you will have a greater sense of dying without the Lord.
You will have a greater sense of your filth, sinfulness, and shame. Not only that, but you will be uncomfortably surrounded by the worst of the worst sinners. Nothing good will be by your side.
21. Jude 1:13 They are wild waves of the sea, foaming up their shame; wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever.
22. 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9 He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might.
People like the darkness more than the light. I’ve heard people say, “I want to go to Hell. I’m going to tell God hell you.” These people are in for a rude awakening. Most people even many professing Christians hate God and God is going to give them exactly what they want.
23. John 3:19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.
Don’t listen to the lies on Hell. Here are a few lies and below I have given verses to support they are lies. There is no purgatory like Catholics like to teach. Some people teach that everyone is going to Heaven which is false as well. Some people teach annihilationism, poof and you’re gone, which is a lie.
24. Hebrews 9:27 And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment.
25. John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.
26. John 5:28-29 Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.
Saying Hell is not real is calling God a liar.
Talking about Hell doesn’t bring in the money. Many people are taking away from God’s Word and there is a stiff penalty for taking away from God’s Word. Because of these false teachers I have heard people say, “well I don’t need to spend eternity in Heaven.” Satan is working through these false teachers. If you read this whole article there is no way that you will think that Hell is not real.
27. Revelation 22:18-19 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.
28. Romans 16:17-18 I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.
The saddest part of all of this is that most people are going to Hell.
Most church goers are going to Hell. Over 90% of people are going to be burning in Hell. Most people hate God and most people want to keep their sins. Many people who have read this article from start to finish will one day spend eternity in Hell. Have you forgotten that the way is narrow?
29. Matthew 7:21-23 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord!’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of My Father in heaven. On that day many will say to Me, ‘Lord, Lord, didn’t we prophesy in Your name, drive out demons in Your name, and do many miracles in Your name? Then I will announce to them, ‘I never knew you! Depart from Me, you lawbreakers!”
30. Matthew 7:13-14″Enter through the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the road is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who go through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
Are you truly saved? Do you call yourself a Christian, but you are living in rebellion? You can’t work your way into Heaven. Many people are burning in Hell because they thought they could. You’re not good enough. You need to cry out, God have mercy I’m a sinner. Please read this: (how to be saved?)