What does the Bible say about God being with us?
When we feel fearful, we need to be reminded of God’s presence. When we feel weak in our faith, we need to be reminded of God’s promises and His great love for us.
Even though God is all-powerful and so completely otherly in His holiness, He chooses to be with us.
At times, we might not feel like God is with us. However, let’s not judge if God is with us by our feelings. God has not and will not abandon His children. He is always with us. I encourage you to continually seek Him and pursue Him in prayer.
God is with us quotes
“The peace of God is first and foremost peace with God; it is the state of affairs in which God, instead of being against us, is for us. No account of God’s peace which does not start here can do other than mislead.” – J.I. Packer
“We should thank God for being with us, not ask Him to be with us (this is always given!).” Henry Blackaby
“God is with us, and His power is around us.” – Charles H. Spurgeon
“God is watching us, but He loves us so much that He can’t take His eyes off us. We may lose sight of God, but He never loses sight of us.” – Greg Laurie
“God talks to us in many ways. Whether we’re listening or not is a whole different matter.”
“The great thing to remember is that though our feelings come and go, God’s love for us does not.” C.S. Lewis
What does it mean that God is with us?
God is Omnipresent, meaning He is everywhere at one time. This is one of the amazing attributes of God, along with Omniscience and Omnipotence. God desires to be with us. He promises that He will always be with us. He wants to comfort us.
1. Acts 17:27 “God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us.”
2. Matthew 18:20 “For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”
3. Joshua 1:9 “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
4. Isaiah 41:10 “Don’t be afraid, because I’m with you; don’t be anxious, because I am your God. I keep on strengthening you; I’m truly helping you. I’m surely upholding you with my victorious right hand.”
5. 1 Corinthians 3:16 “Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?”
6. Matthew 1:23 “Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel, which means ‘God is with us.’”
7. Isaiah 7:14 “Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.”
God desires intimacy and for us to be close to Him
The Holy Spirit is always praying for us. And we are told to pray without ceasing. This means that we should remain in an attitude of constant communication to the Lord – He is near His children and wants to be relational with them.
8. Zephaniah 3:17 “The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.”
9. John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; I do not give it to you as the world does. Do not let your hearts be distressed or lacking in courage.”
10. 1 Chronicles 16:11 “Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!”
11. Revelation 21:3 “And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will [a]dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them.”
12. 1 John 4:16 “So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.”
God is with you and He knows what you are going through
Even when life is hard – even when we feel like we are about to break under the pressure of stress, we can trust that God knows exactly what we are going through. He is not a distant uncaring God. He is right with us. Even when we don’t feel Him. Even when we cannot fathom why He would allow a tragedy to occur – we can trust that He has allowed it for our sanctification and for His glory and that He is right there with us.
13. Deuteronomy 31:6 “Be strong and courageous. Do no fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will no leave you nor forsake you.”
14. Romans 8:38-39 “For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
15. Deuteronomy 31:8 “And the Lord, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.”
16. Psalm 139:7-8 “Where can I go to escape Your Spirit? Where can I flee from Your presence? 8 If I go up to heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, You are there.”
17. Jeremiah 23:23-24 “Am I only a God nearby,” declares the Lord, “and not a God far away? 24 Who can hide in secret places so that I cannot see them?” declares the Lord. “Do not I fill heaven and earth?” declares the Lord.”
18. Deuteronomy 7:9 “Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations.”
The power of the indwelling Spirit
God also dwells with believers today. He indwells within them by the Holy Spirit. This happens at the moment of salvation. This is what happens when the Holy Spirit removes our self-centered heart of stone and replaces it with a new heart, that holds new desires.
19. 1 Chronicles 12:18 “Then the Spirit clothed Amasai, chief of the thirty, and he said, “We are yours, O David, and with you, O son of Jesse! Peace, peace to you, and peace to your helpers! For your God helps you.” Then David received them and made them officers of his troops.”
20. Ezekiel 11:5 “And the Spirit of the Lord fell upon me, and he said to me, “Say, Thus says the Lord: So you think, O house of Israel. For I know the things that come into your mind.”
21. Colossians 1:27 “To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.”
22. John 14:23 “Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them.”
23. Galatians 2:20 “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
24. Luke 11:13 “If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
25. Romans 8:26 “Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.”
God’s immense love for us
God loves us tremendously. He loves us more than we can fathom. And as a loving Father, He wants what is best for us. He will only allow that which will bring us closer to Him and to be transformed more like Christ.
26. John 1:14 “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.”
27. Romans 5:5 “And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”
28. Psalm 86:15 “But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.”
29. 1 John 3:1 See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him
30. “John 16:33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
Growing in trust is an aspect of sanctification. The more we learn to rest in the safety of God, in trusting Him completely, the more we grow in sanctification. Often times, we learn to trust the Lord by having to trust Him when our current situation is stressful, or seemingly hopeless. God doesn’t promise us a life of ease and comfort – but He does promise to always be with us and take care of us even when things look bleak.
31. Matthew 28:20 “Teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
32. Matthew 6:25-34 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? 28 And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29 yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”
33. Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
34. Isaiah 40:31 “But they who wait upon the Lord will get new strength. They will rise up with wings like eagles. They will run and not get tired. They will walk and not become weak.”
35. Nehemiah 8:10 “Ezra said to them, “Go, eat and drink what you enjoy, and give some to him who has nothing ready. For this day is holy to our Lord. Do not be sad for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”
36. 1 Corinthians 1:9 “God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.”
37. Jeremiah 17:7-8 “But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. 8 They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.”
Resting in God’s promises
Resting in God’s promises is how we applicably trust God. To rest in His promises we have to know what His promises are, to whom He promised them, and the context in which they are written. This requires us to study and learn about who God is.
38. Psalm 23:4 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
39. John 14:16-17 “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.”
40. Psalm 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”
41. Luke 1:37 “For no word from God will ever fail.”
42. John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
How to Walk with God?
43. Hebrews 13:5 “Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you“
44. Genesis 5:24 “Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.”1 Peter 5:6-7 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
45. Micah 6:8 “He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”
46. Deuteronomy 5:33 “Walk in obedience to all that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess.”
47. Galatians 5:25 “Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.”
48. 1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
49. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
50. Colossians 1:10-11 “So that you might live in a manner worthy of the Lord and be fully pleasing to him as you bear fruit while doing all kinds of good things and growing in the full knowledge of God. You are being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might, so that you might patiently endure everything with joy.”
The Lord God is gracious and has promised to take care of us and to be with us. God is safe to trust. How amazing that the Holy and pure God, the Creator of the Heavens and the Earth would want to dwell and have a relationship with the mere dust of the earth that we are. We who are so far from Holy, we who are tainted and sinful. God wants to cleanse us because He chose to love us. How amazing!