Bible verses about feeding the hungry
There are people who will starve to death today. There are people who have to eat mud pies daily. We don’t truly understand how blessed we are in America. As Christians we are to feed the poor and help people who are in need. Feeding the needy is part of serving one another and as we serve others we are serving Christ.
When you go to the store and you happen to see a homeless man why not buy him something to eat? Think about it we go to the store seeking to buy things we don’t need like junk food.
Why not use our wealth to help someone that really needs it. Many times God will provide for people through us. Let’s all pray for more love and compassion for the needy.
Let’s think of different ways to bless the poor. Let’s pray that God removes any stinginess that’s lurking in our heart.
- The world’s hunger is getting ridiculous, There is more fruit in rich man’s shampoo than in a poor man’s plate.
When you feed others you are feeding Christ.
1. Matthew 25:34-40 “Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, my Father has blessed you! Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger, and you took me into your home. I needed clothes, and you gave me something to wear. I was sick, and you took care of me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’ “Then the people who have God’s approval will reply to him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you or see you thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you as a stranger and take you into our homes or see you in need of clothes and give you something to wear? When did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ “The king will answer them, ‘I can guarantee this truth: Whatever you did for one of my brothers or sisters, no matter how unimportant they seemed, you did for me.’
What does the Bible say?
2. Isaiah 58:10 If you give some of your own food to [feed] those who are hungry and to satisfy [the needs of] those who are humble, then your light will rise in the dark, and your darkness will become as bright as the noonday sun.
3. Isaiah 58:7 Share your food with the hungry, and give shelter to the homeless. Give clothes to those who need them, and do not hide from relatives who need your help.
4. Ezekiel 18:7 He is a merciful creditor, not keeping the items given as security by poor debtors. He does not rob the poor but instead gives food to the hungry and provides clothes for the needy.
5. Luke 3:11 He answered them, “Whoever has two shirts should share with the person who doesn’t have any. Whoever has food should share it too.”
6. Matthew 10:42 I tell all of you with certainty, whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is a disciple will never lose his reward.”
7. Proverbs 19:17 The one who is gracious to the poor lends to the Lord, and the Lord will repay him for his good deed.
8. Proverbs 22:9 A generous person will be blessed, for he gives some of his food to the poor.
9. Romans 12:13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
God blesses us so we can help others.
10. 2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:
11. Genesis 12:2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
True faith in Christ will result in good deeds.
12. James 2:15-17 Suppose a brother or sister does not have any clothes or daily food and one of you tells them, “Go in peace! Stay warm and eat heartily.” If you do not provide for their bodily needs, what good does it do? In the same way, faith by itself, if it does not prove itself with actions, is dead.
13. 1 John 3:17-18 Now, suppose a person has enough to live on and notices another believer in need. How can God’s love be in that person if he doesn’t bother to help the other believer? Dear children, we must show love through actions that are sincere, not through empty words.
14. James 2:26 A body that doesn’t breathe is dead. In the same way faith that does nothing is dead.
Shutting your ears to the hungry.
15. Proverbs 14:31 Whoever oppresses the poor insults his maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors him.
16. Proverbs 21:13 Whoever shuts his ear to the cry of the poor will call and not be answered.
17. Proverbs 29:7 A righteous person knows the just cause of the poor. A wicked person does not understand this.
Feeding your enemy.
18. Proverbs 25:21 If your enemy hungers, give him food to eat; and if he thirsts, give him water to drink.
19. Romans 12:20 Rather, if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in doing this you will be heaping burning coals on his head.
20. Galatians 5:13 For you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters; only do not use your freedom as an opportunity to indulge your flesh, but through love serve one another.
21. Galatians 6:2 Carry one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
22. Philippians 2:4 Each of you should be concerned not only about your own interests, but about the interests of others as well.
23. Proverbs 21:26 Some people are always greedy for more, but the godly love to give!
24. Ephesians 4:28 Thieves must quit stealing and, instead, they must work hard. They should do something good with their hands so that they’ll have something to share with those in need.
25. Deuteronomy 15:10 You must by all means lend to him and not be upset by doing it, for because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you attempt.
Psalm 37:25-26 I once was young and now I am old, but I have not seen a righteous person forsaken or his descendants begging for bread. Every day he is generous, lending freely, and his descendants are blessed.