Bible verses about empathy
As Christians we are to be imitators of God and have compassion for one another. Try putting yourself in someone else’s shoes. From Scripture we see the great empathy Jesus showed for the sick, the blind, the deaf, and more. Throughout Scripture we are taught to humble ourselves and look at the interests of others.
Bear the burden of your brothers and sisters in Christ. Always remember there is one body of Christ, but each of us make up the many parts of it.
Love one another and be sensitive to the feelings of others. We should all pray that these Scripture quotes become a reality in our lives.
Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care. Theodore Roosevelt
Bear each other’s burdens
1. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
2. Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
3. 1 Peter 4:10 God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another.
4. Romans 12:15 Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep.
5. Galatians 6:2-3 Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important.
6. Romans 15:1 We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
7. Philippians 2:2-4 Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose. Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.
8. 1 Corinthians 10:24 Try to do what is good for others, not just what is good for yourselves.
9. 1 Corinthians 10:33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
10. Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
11. Galatians 5:14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
12. 1 Peter 3:8 Finally, all of you should be of one mind. Sympathize with each other. Love each other as brothers and sisters. Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude.
13. Ephesians 4:2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
Body of Christ
14. 1 Corinthians 12:25-26 This makes for harmony among the members, so that all the members care for each other. If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it, and if one part is honored, all the parts are glad.
15. Romans 12:5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Be imitators of the Lord
16. Hebrews 4:13-16 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
17. Psalm 103:13–14 As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.
18. Ephesians 5:1-2 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
20. James 2:15-17 What if a Christian does not have clothes or food? And one of you says to him, “Goodbye, keep yourself warm and eat well.” But if you do not give him what he needs, how does that help him? A faith that does not do things is a dead faith.
21. Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
22. Luke 6:31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.
James 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.