Bible verses about temperance
The word temperance is used in the King James Version of the Bible and it means self-control. Many times when used temperance refers to alcohol, but it can be used for anything. It can be for caffeine consumption, gluttony, thoughts, etc. By ourselves we have no self-control, but temperance is one of the fruits of the Spirit. The Holy Spirit helps us with self-control, overcoming sin, and obeying the Lord. Submit to the Lord. Continually cry out to God for help. You know the area you need help with. Don’t say you want to change, but just remain there. On your walk of faith, you will need self-discipline. To have victory over your temptations you must walk by the Spirit and not the flesh.
What does the Bible say?
1. Galatians 5:22-24 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
2. 2 Peter 1:5-6 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
3. Titus 2:12 It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.
4. Proverbs 25:28 Like a city whose walls are broken through is a person who lacks self-control.
5. 1 Corinthians 9:27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.
6. Philippians 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
7. Proverbs 25:16 If you find some honey, eat only what you need. Take too much, and you’ll vomit.
8. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.
9. Romans 12:1-2 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God–this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.
10. Romans 13:14 Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.
11. Philippians 4:13 For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.
12. 1 Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
13. Colossians 3:10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.
14. 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
15. 1 Timothy 3:8-9 In the same way, deacons must be well respected and have integrity. They must not be heavy drinkers or dishonest with money. They must be committed to the mystery of the faith now revealed and must live with a clear conscience.
16. 1 Thessalonians 5:6-8 So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober. For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.
17. Ephesians 5:18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.
18. Galatians 5:19-21 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.
The Holy Spirit will help you
19. Romans 8:9 You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.
21. Acts 24:25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.
22. Proverbs 31:4-5 It is not for kings, Lemuel— it is not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer, lest they drink and forget what has been decreed, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights.