Bible Verses about taking God’s name in vain
Be careful what comes out of your mouth because using the Lord’s name in vain is indeed a sin. We are to always obey the third commandment. When we misuse His name we are dishonoring Him and showing a lack of respect. God will not be mocked. God is extremely angry at America. People use His name as a curse word. They say things like Jesus (curse word) Christ or Holy (curse word).
Many people even try switching a word. Instead of saying Oh my God they say something else. God’s name is holy and it must be used with respect. Swearing is not the only way to use God’s name in vain. You can also do this by claiming to be Christian, but living in a continuous lifestyle of sin.
Many false preachers try to justify sin to tickle people’s ears and say things like God is love. The third way is by breaking vows. Breaking oaths to God or others is sinful and it is better that we don’t make promises in the first place. Another way is by spreading false prophecies like Benny Hinn and other false prophets do.
What does the Bible say about taking God’s name in vain?
1. Deuteronomy 5:10-11 “But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands. “You must not misuse the name of the LORD your God. The LORD will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name.”
2. Exodus 20:7 “You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold guiltless anyone who takes his name in vain.”
3. Leviticus 19:12 “Do not bring shame on the name of your God by using it to swear falsely. I am the LORD.”
4. Deuteronomy 6:12-13 “Be careful that you do not forget the LORD, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.Fear the LORD your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name. Fear the LORD your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name.”
5. Psalm 139:20-21 “O God, if only you would destroy the wicked! Get out of my life, you murderers! They blaspheme you; your enemies misuse your name.”
6. Matthew 5:33-37 “You have heard that it was said to our people long ago, ‘Don’t break your promises, but keep the promises you make to the Lord.’ But I tell you, never swear an oath. Don’t swear an oath using the name of heaven, because heaven is God’s throne. Don’t swear an oath using the name of the earth, because the earth belongs to God. Don’t swear an oath using the name of Jerusalem, because that is the city of the great King. Don’t even swear by your own head, because you cannot make one hair on your head become white or black. Say only yes if you mean yes, and no if you mean no. If you say more than yes or no, it is from the Evil One.”
7. Psalm 111:7-9 “The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy. They are established for ever and ever, enacted in faithfulness and uprightness. He provided redemption for his people; he ordained his covenant forever– holy and awesome is his name. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.”
8. Psalm 99:1-3 “The LORD reigns, let the nations tremble; he sits enthroned between the cherubim, let the earth shake. Great is the LORD in Zion; he is exalted over all the nations. Let them praise your great and awesome name– he is holy.”
9. Luke 1:46-47 “Mary responded, “Oh, how my soul praises the Lord. How my spirit rejoices in God my Savior! For he took notice of his lowly servant girl, and from now on all generations will call me blessed. For the Mighty One is holy, and he has done great things for me.”
10. Matthew 6:9 “Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.”
Watch your mouth
11. Ephesians 4:29-30 “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.”
12. Matthew 12:36-37 “A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart. And I tell you this, you must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak. The words you say will either acquit you or condemn you.”
13. Ecclesiastes 10:12 “Wise words bring approval, but fools are destroyed by their own words.”
14. Proverbs 18:21 “The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.”
15. Galatians 6:7-8 “Do not be fooled: You cannot cheat God. People harvest only what they plant. If they plant to satisfy their sinful selves, their sinful selves will bring them ruin. But if they plant to please the Spirit, they will receive eternal life from the Spirit.”
Do not act like the world.
16. Romans 12:2 “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.”
17. 1 Peter 1:14-16 “As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”
18. Ephesians 4:18 “They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart.”
Prophesying in His name. False prophets like Benny Hinn.
19. Jeremiah 29:8-9 “Yes, this is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: “Do not let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you. Do not listen to the dreams you encourage them to have. They are prophesying lies to you in my name. I have not sent them,” declares the LORD.”
20. Jeremiah 27:13-17 “Why do you insist on dying–you and your people? Why should you choose war, famine, and disease, which the LORD will bring against every nation that refuses to submit to Babylon’s king? Do not listen to the false prophets who keep telling you, ‘The king of Babylon will not conquer you.’ They are liars. This is what the LORD says: ‘I have not sent these prophets! They are telling you lies in my name, so I will drive you from this land. You will all die–you and all these prophets, too.'” Then I spoke to the priests and the people and said, “This is what the LORD says: ‘Do not listen to your prophets who claim that soon the gold articles taken from my Temple will be returned from Babylon. It is all a lie! Do not listen to them. Surrender to the king of Babylon, and you will live. Why should this whole city be destroyed?”
21. Jeremiah 29:31-32 “Send a message to all the exiles: ‘This is what the LORD says about Shemaiah from Nehelam, “Because Shemaiah has prophesied to you, even though I didn’t send him, and has made you trust a lie,” therefore, this is what the LORD says: “I’m about to judge Shemaiah from Nehelam along with his descendants. He won’t have anyone related to him living among these people. Nor will he see the good that I’ll do for my people,” declares the LORD, “because he advocated rebellion against the LORD. This message came from the LORD to Jeremiah.”
Are you taking God’s name in vain by the way that you live?
When you say you’re Christian and you live for Jesus, but you live your life as if He didn’t give you laws to obey. When you do this you are mocking God.
22. Matthew 15:7-9 “You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: “‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.”
23. Luke 6:43-48 “For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit, for each tree is known by its own fruit. For figs are not gathered from thorns, nor are grapes picked from brambles. The good person out of the good treasury of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasury produces evil, for his mouth speaks from what fills his heart. “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and don’t do what I tell you? “Everyone who comes to me and listens to my words and puts them into practice—I will show you what he is like: He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep, and laid the foundation on bedrock. When a flood came, the river burst against that house but could not shake it, because it had been well built.”
24. Matthew 7:21-23 “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.”
25. John 14:22-25 “Judas (not Judas Iscariot, but the other disciple with that name) said to him, “Lord, why are you going to reveal yourself only to us and not to the world at large?” Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them. Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own. What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me. I am telling you these things now while I am still with you.”
Psalm 5:5 “The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers.”