Throughout my walk of faith I see how God has been teaching me about modesty. Even I have fallen short in this area. Modesty is not only for women it is for men as well. “Yes, we get it muscle man you’re buff now put a shirt on because you’re causing women to stumble, a nice sized one.” Immodesty shows bad intentions and in a way it is boasting of self.
Professing Christian women dressing like prostitutes. Dressing showing cleavage even in the church, it’s terrible. Many churches today are nothing but fashion shows where people go to show off their immodest clothing and worship a god that they made up in their mind. A god who lets them live in ungodliness.
We need more people to stand up and say, “no this needs to change. Sin!” Christians wearing extremely tight clothes to reveal their body parts and then they wonder why they only attract scoundrels. Why are professing Christian women dressing like the world?
Mini skirts, skin tight clothing, bikini swimsuits, low neckline, booty shorts, dresses that show off your curves, and your bum. These things do not have modesty in mind. I am also seeing more and more women wearing yoga pants. I’m not saying it’s sinful to wear yoga pants. However, your motives are what makes it sinful.
Once again, I’m not saying that you have to look like a ball of clothes especially if it is extremely hot, you’re going to the gym, etc. But there is a fine line between appropriate and not appropriate and you know it. What are your motives deep down? Be honest with yourself. We must always have a godly perspective on how we present ourselves.
The younger generation is looking at the older generation and they are mimicking them. That is why these 13, 14, 15, and 16 year olds are dressing like grown worldly women. People applaud them. No, it’s terrible. It’s of the devil and I’m tired of it! 10-20 years ago these kids weren’t dressing like this. It shows the moral decline of the world.
You’re not fooling anyone when you’re taking pics showing cleavage and in a bikini on social media. There is a strong chance that you have impure motives to show off your body. You need to stop. We are all aware of how we look when we take pictures and the message it is sending out.
The culture is killing us. “Oh lighten up.” No! This stuff needs to stop. I heard someone say, “Christian women can look good too.” If by looking good you have to put on clothing that will show off your body, appear evil, and cause others to stumble this should not be. Who cares how Hollywood or people around you may dress. You must not wear revealing outfits in public or in church.
All you have to do is Google the word “women” and immediately you will see sensual women and you will see how the world looks at women. Where is the respect? Where is the dignity?
- “Women, modesty means you have beauty and power. And you use that to teach men how to love you for the right reasons.” Jason Evert
- “Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.” C.S. Lewis
- “Dear girls, Dressing immodestly is like rolling around in manure. Yes you will get attention, but ALL of it will be from pigs.” Sincerely, Real Men
- “Dressing modestly doesn’t mean I lack confidence, it means I’m so confident I don’t need to reveal my body to the world because I rather reveal my mind.”
- “Modesty isn’t about hiding ourselves – its about revealing our dignity.” Jessica Rey
More parents need to lovingly be on their children.
Properly bring up your daughter. Allow your daughter to know she is not going outside of the house looking like a promiscuous woman. She is not going to be buying these ungodly clothes. Encourage them and praise them when they dress modestly. Every adult has been a teen before and we know how it is. Daughters ask your parents, your pastors, or the biblically wise about your clothing. Be more accountable.
1. Proverbs 22:6 “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
There is a difference between beauty and sensuality.
This verse says, “with proper clothing.” That means that there are proper clothing and there are improper clothing for a woman. The body of Christ should not dress in a way to draw attention to physical beauty. When you look in the mirror are you looking for sexiness or fruits of a biblical woman?
2. 1 Timothy 2:9-10 “Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness.”
The intentions of a worldly woman and a godly woman are different.
Worldly women seek to bring you down and set a trap before you. They seek to cause you to chase after them and lust after them by their clothing and the way that they act. Sometimes worldly women bend over as a sign that they want you to approach them.
Sometimes it is the way that they walk, stand, flirtatiously glance at you, or sit to reveal themselves even more. They even sometimes engage in sexual undertones. A godly woman guards her sexuality with a modest attitude and modest apparel that does not draw lustful attention. She seeks to glorify God and not herself. Her life shows the worship of God and not the flesh.
3. Proverbs 7:9-12 “at twilight, as the day was fading, as the dark of night set in. Then out came a woman to meet him, dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent. (She is unruly and defiant, her feet never stay at home; now in the street, now in the squares, at every corner she lurks.)”
4. Isaiah 3:16-19 “The LORD says, “The women of Zion are haughty, walking along with outstretched necks, flirting with their eyes, strutting along with swaying hips, with ornaments jingling on their ankles. Therefore the Lord will bring sores on the heads of the women of Zion; the LORD will make their scalps bald.” In that day the Lord will snatch away their finery: the bangles and headbands and crescent necklaces, the earrings and bracelets and veils.”
5. Ezekiel 16:30 “What a sick heart you have, says the Sovereign LORD, to do such things as these, acting like a shameless prostitute.”
Satan is deceiving many women.
Satan told Eve, “did God really say you can’t eat that?” Now he is saying, “did God really say that you can’t wear that? He wouldn’t mind. It’s just a little cleavage.”
6. Genesis 3:1 “Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”
7. 2 Corinthians 11:3 “But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.”
The way that you dress reveals your heart.
There is no getting around this. Immodesty shows a wicked heart. Immodesty shows ungodliness and spiritual immaturity. There are pretty women who dress inappropriately who will never look as beautiful as a woman dressed modestly.
She shines so bright and the way that she is dressed says so much about her. People say God knows my heart. Yeah, He knows that your heart is wicked.
8. Mark 7:21-23 “because it’s from within, from the human heart, that evil thoughts come, as well as sexual immorality, stealing, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, cheating, shameless lust, envy, slander, arrogance, and foolishness. All these things come from inside and make a person unclean.”
9. Ezekiel 16:30 “What a sick heart you have, says the Sovereign LORD, to do such things as these, acting like a shameless prostitute.”
Godly women know their significance in Christ.
They know that they are so loved by Christ and they don’t need to find false love in other places. It saddens me by the number of women who need to try to reveal themselves to get attention from the opposite sex. So much people today struggle with self-esteem issues because they are looking at the false images of the world. “I need to look like this, I need to do this, I need to dress like this so more men will be interested.” No!
You need to work on your inner beauty not your outer beauty. You are so loved by Christ. You don’t need to prove anything to anyone. If you dress for sensuality you are sending out negative energy and you will attract ungodly people. Christian women you need to respect yourself and embrace modesty. Teach people to see you for who you are. Not some sex object, not some toy, but a woman who is after the heart of Christ.
10. 1 Peter 3:3-4 “Your adornment must not be merely external—braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.”
11. 1 Samuel 16:7 “But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”
You don’t want to be a stumbling block for your brothers and sisters and you don’t want people degrading you in their minds.
Especially in the church all women must understand that not only are they a distraction when they dress immodestly, but they are competing against God for glory, attention, and honor. I’m tired of hearing women say, “it’s not our fault that men lust.” A godly man will turn his head immediately after noticing an immodest woman and there is a chance that he already has stumbled in his mind.
Let me tell you something woman of God. That should not be the attitude of a Christian. The less you advertise the less chance that someone will lust after you. If you are dressing immodestly you are not helping one bit. Think about others and the battle that they have to go through.
Some people are going through war right now regarding lust. Once again men need to be held more accountable as well because there are many Christian women who are going through a battle. Let’s not make it harder for each other.
12. Matthew 5:16 “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”
13. 1 Peter 2:11 “Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul.”
14. 1 Corinthians 8:9 “Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak.”
15. Galatians 5:13 “You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.”
A beautiful woman without discretion does not have good judgment.
She might be beautiful, but she lacks discernment and just like a beautiful pig she will make shameful choices regardless of her beauty. She is beautiful on the outside, but inside she is unclean it’s a waste of beauty. A real godly man will not seek after a sensual woman.
A woman who fears the Lord will show that she fears the Lord by the way that she is dressed and a godly man will find that attractive. A woman who stands out among the wicked crowd by her modesty is to be praised. God has made something special and we can see that God is working in her. Glory to God!
16. Proverbs 31:30 “Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.”
17. Proverbs 11:22 “Like a gold ring in a pig’s snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.”
Does your clothing give glory to God?
If your clothing draws attention to your body to outline it, to make people notice you, to show off sensuality, then you know exactly what you’re doing. Some people feel like the only way they can get noticed is by showing off. One of the things I hate most is when men make crude comments about sensual women. It burdens my heart and it sickens me. Your body is a gift from the Lord.
It should be treated as a gift beautifully wrapped with the righteousness of Christ. When your breasts are hanging out of your clothing, when parts of your breasts are being exposed, when your body is being seen through your clothing, when your legs are being revealed in an immodest way how does that glorify God?
All the time you will hear people say, “Jesus is my life,” but it’s a lie. Just look at their pictures. Just look at how they present themselves. God is not pleased. He doesn’t compromise. How are you going to bless the world by looking just like the wicked world?
18. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”
19. 1 Corinthians 12:23 “and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty.”
20. Romans 12:1 “Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.”
Your body belongs to Christ and secondly it should only be seen by your husband.
21. 1 Corinthians 6:13 “You say, ‘Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, and God will destroy them both.” The body, however, is not meant for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.”
22. 1 Corinthians 7:4 “The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife.”
You must clothe yourselves in holiness and in proper clothes for a Christian woman.
When you’re modest you dress with humility. When you are immodest you dress with pride. Humble people don’t draw unnecessary attention to themselves.
23. Romans 13:14-15 “Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.”
24. Colossians 3:12 “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”
A virtuous woman is clothed with strength and dignity.
Her hope is in the Lord and she laughs at what the world throws at her. “Everyone is doing it. You need to look more like this if you want a man. You need to be confident and show off your body.” The godly woman says, “no! I am wonderfully made and my body is for the Lord not the world.”
You don’t need to dress a certain way to attract someone. Be still and don’t be discouraged. Don’t start compromising. A godly woman’s hope is in the Lord that God will provide. He will make a way so you will meet the person He has for you. You don’t need to start doing things in the flesh to speed up the process. Be patient and pray. God is faithful.
25. Proverbs 31:25 “She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.”
Bonus: Always examine yourself.
If you have been dressing immodestly repent. There are beautiful outfits that you can buy that are modest, but still stylish. Now every time you pick out your clothes look at yourself in the mirror. What are my motives? Am I looking to be sexy? Will I cause someone to stumble? Are my clothes too tight? Am I seeking to find a way to compromise in my mind?
How would God feel? Are my clothes too short? Do they reveal too much? Is it revealing too much of my legs? Do they show off small parts of my breasts? Ask yourself this and allow the Holy Spirit to guide you. Pray about this and allow the Lord to lead you to clothes that honor Him. Let your love for God and others be seen in the way that you dress.
Galatians 5:16-17 “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.”