Bible verses about marrying a non Christian
It is a sin to marry someone who is not Christian? It is not wise in any way to think you can convert someone down the way because most of the time it doesn’t work and it leads to more problems on top of other problems you will have. If you marry a non-Christian or someone of a different faith you’re the one who will end up compromising and you’re the one who might be led astray.
If someone is not building you up in Christ they are bringing you down. If you marry an unbeliever most likely your children will be unbelievers as well. You will not have the godly family all Christians desire. How would you feel if your spouse and children go to hell? Don’t tell yourself, but he/she is nice because it doesn’t matter. Non-Christians can only drag you down no matter how nice they are. Watch out for fake Christians who claim to be believers, but live like devils. Don’t think you’re wiser than God or you know better than him. When you marry you will be one flesh. How can God be one flesh with Satan?
There will be extreme consequences down the road if you make the wrong decision. Sometimes people don’t want to wait for God to provide a godly spouse, but you must. Continually pray and deny yourself. Sometimes you have to cut people off. If your whole life is all about Christ make the choice that is pleasing to him.
What does the Bible say?
1. 2 Corinthians 6:14-16 “Don’t team up with those who are unbelievers. How can righteousness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness? What harmony can there be between Christ and the devil? How can a believer be a partner with an unbeliever? And what union can there be between God’s temple and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God said: “I will live in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they will be my people.”
2. 2 Corinthians 6:17 “Therefore, ‘Come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you.”
3. Amos 3:3 “Can two walk together, except they be agreed?”
4. 1 Corinthians 7:15-16 “But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?”
5. 1 Corinthians 15:33 “Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.”
How can you build each other up in Christ and share things about him? A spouse is to help you grow in faith not hinder you.
6. Proverbs 27:17 “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.”
7. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.”
8. Hebrews 10:24-25 “And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.”
How does it glorify God?
9. 1 Corinthians 10:31 “So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”
10. Colossians 3:17 “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”
How can your spouse perform their godly role?
11. Ephesians 5:22-28 “Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.”
12. 1 Peter 3:7 “Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.”
Trust in the Lord and not yourself or others.
13. Proverbs 12:15 “Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.”
14. Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.”
15. Proverbs 19:20 “Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise.”
16. Proverbs 8:33 “Listen to my instruction and be wise; do not disregard it.”
17. 2 Timothy 4:3-4 “For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.”
It does not come from faith.
18. Romans 14:23 “But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.”
19. James 4:17 “So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.”
Don’t marry someone if they claim to be a believer, but live like an unbeliever. Many people falsely think they are saved, but never truly accepted Christ. They have no new desires for Christ. God is not working in their life and they live a continuous lifestyle of sin.
20. 1 Corinthians 5:9-12 “I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people. What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?”
If you’re already married to an unbeliever.
21. 1 Peter 3:1-2 “Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct.”
22. Romans 12:1-2 “And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.”
23. Matthew 26:41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
24. Deuteronomy 7:1-4 “When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations—the Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites, seven nations larger and stronger than you and when the Lord your God has delivered them over to you and you have defeated them, then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy. Do not intermarry with them. Do not give your daughters to their sons or take their daughters for your sons, for they will turn your children away from following me to serve other gods, and the Lord’s anger will burn against you and will quickly destroy you.”
25. 1 Kings 11:4-6 “As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the Lord his God, as the heart of David his father had been. He followed Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, and Molek the detestable god of the Ammonites. So Solomon did evil in the eyes of the Lord; he did not follow the Lord completely, as David his father had done.”
Matthew 16:24 “Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.”