Bible verses about curiosity
We’ve all heard the quote, “curiosity killed the cat.” Curiosity can indeed lead you down a dark path. Christians must be careful to walk by the Holy Spirit. It is extremely easy to fall into sin and Satan can entice you. All it takes is one time. People say, “why is everybody into porn? Let me find out. Why does everybody smoke weed? Let me try. I want to know about the latest gossip, let me search for it.”
In these examples you see curiosity is very dangerous. It will lead to compromising and it can result in going astray. Be careful. Keep reading the Bible. Live by the Word of God.
Set your mind upon Christ. God sees all sins. Don’t say God I’m just going to try it once. Don’t make excuses. Listen to the convictions of the Spirit. Flee from temptation and pursue Christ.
Don’t just stand there, flee. Pray for help in temptation and allow God to guide you.
“Curiosity is a kernel of the forbidden fruit which still sticketh in the throat of a natural man, sometimes to the danger of his choking.” Thomas Fuller
“Free curiosity has greater power to stimulate learning than rigorous coercion. Nevertheless, the free ranging flux of curiosity is channeled by discipline under Your Law.” Saint Augustine
“The Bible was written not to satisfy your curiosity but to help you conform to Christ’s image. Not to make you a smarter sinner but to make you like the Savior. Not to fill your head with a collection of biblical facts but to transform your life.” Howard G. Hendricks
What does the Bible say about curiosity?
1. Proverbs 27:20 Just as Death and Destruction are never satisfied, so human desire is never satisfied.
2. Ecclesiastes 1:8 Everything is wearisome beyond description. No matter how much we see, we are never satisfied. No matter how much we hear, we are not content.
Curiosity leads to sin.
3. James 1:14-15 Instead, each person is tempted by his own desire, being lured and trapped by it. When that desire becomes pregnant, it gives birth to sin; and when that sin grows up, it gives birth to death.
4. 2 Timothy 2:22 Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
5. 1 Peter 1:14 As obedient children, do not be shaped by the desires that used to influence you when you were ignorant.
Scripture warns us to be careful when bringing someone back on the right path.
6. Galatians 6:1 Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted.
Curiosity leads to death.
7. Numbers 4:20 But the Kohathites must not go in to look at the holy things, even for a moment, or they will die.”
8. Proverbs 14:12 There is a way that seems right to a person, but its end is the way that leads to death.
9. Ecclesiastes 7:17 Be not over much wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time?
Satan boosts our curiosity for sin.
10. Genesis 3:3-6 but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.'” “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.
11. 2 Corinthians 11:3 But I am afraid that just as the serpent deceived Eve by his treachery, your minds may be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ.
Curiosity leads to compromise.
12. 2 Timothy 4:3-4 For the time will come when they will not tolerate sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, will multiply teachers for themselves because they have an itch to hear something new. They will turn away from hearing the truth and will turn aside to myths.
Curiosity leads to minding other people’s business.
14. 1 Peter 4:15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men’s matters.
15. Proverbs 4:14-15 Don’t follow the ways of the wicked; don’t do what evil people do. Avoid their ways, and don’t follow them. Stay away from them and keep on going.
16. 1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to humanity. God is faithful, and He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation He will also provide a way of escape so that you are able to bear it.
We must trust in God and know there is a good reason why He keeps some things from us and tells us to stay away from things.
17. Deuteronomy 29:29 “The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but what has been revealed belongs to us and to our children forever, so that we might observe the words of this Law.”
18. Acts 1:7 He replied, “The Father alone has the authority to set those dates and times, and they are not for you to know.
19. Psalm 25:14 The secret counsel of the LORD is for those who fear Him, and He reveals His covenant to them.
Think about Christ and honorable things.
20. Philippians 4:8-9 Brothers and sisters, think about the things that are good and worthy of praise. Think about the things that are true and honorable and right and pure and beautiful and respected. Do what you learned and received from me, what I told you, and what you saw me do. And the God who gives peace will be with you.
Matthew 26:41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”