Bible verses about brothers
There are many different brothers in the Bible. Some relationships were filled with love and sadly some were filled with hate. When Scripture talks about brothers it’s not always blood related. Brotherhood can be a close friendship you have with someone.
It can be other believers within the body of Christ. It can also be fellow soldiers. There should and usually is a strong bond between brothers.
As Christians we are to be our brother’s keeper. We are to never seek them harm, but continually build our brothers up.
We are to love, help, and make sacrifices for our brothers. Praise the Lord for your brother. Whether your brother is a sibling, friend, co-worker, or fellow Christian, always keep them in your prayers.
Ask God to work in them, guide them, increase their love, etc. Brothers are always family so remember to always treat them as family.
- Brothers and sisters are as close as hands and feet.
- Brothers don’t necessarily have to say anything to each other – they can sit in a room and be together and just be completely comfortable with each other
What does the Bible say?
1. Hebrews 13:1 Let brotherly love continue.
2. Romans 12:10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor.
3. 1 Peter 3:8 Finally, all of you must live in harmony, be sympathetic, love as brothers, and be compassionate and humble.
We are to be our brother’s keeper.
4. Genesis 4:9 And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother’s keeper?
Hating your brother.
5. Leviticus 19:17 You must not hate your brother in your heart. You must surely reprove your fellow citizen so that you do not incur sin on account of him.
6. 1 John 3:15 Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life present in him.
God loves when brothers are being brothers.
7. Psalm 133:1 Look how good and how pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!
A true brother is always there for you.
8. Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a difficult time.
9. Proverbs 18:24 A man with many friends can still be ruined, but a true friend sticks closer than a brother.
Brothers of Christ.
10. Matthew 12:46-50 As Jesus was speaking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, asking to speak to him. Someone told Jesus, “Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, and they want to speak to you.” Jesus asked, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” Then he pointed to his disciples and said, “Look, these are my mother and brothers. Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother!”
11. Hebrews 2:11-12 For indeed he who makes holy and those being made holy all have the same origin, and so he is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters,
A brother is always helpful.
12. 2 Corinthians 11:9 And when I was with you and needed something, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied what I needed. I have kept myself from being a burden to you in any way, and will continue to do so.
13. 1 John 3:17-18 If anyone has this world’s goods and sees his brother in need but closes his eyes to his need–how can God’s love reside in him? Little children, we must not love with word or speech, but with truth and action.
14. James 2:15-17 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
15. Matthew 25:40 And the king will answer them, ‘I tell you the truth, just as you did it for one of the least of these brothers or sisters of mine, you did it for me.’
We are to love our brothers deeply. We are to have agape love, just like David and Jonathan.
16. 2 Samuel 1:26 How I weep for you, my brother Jonathan! Oh, how much I loved you! And your love for me was deep, deeper than the love of women!
17. 1 John 3:16 This is how we have come to know love: He laid down His life for us. We should also lay down our lives for our brothers.
18. 1 Samuel 18:1 And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.
Brotherly moments in the Bible.
19. Genesis 33:4 Then Esau ran to meet Jacob. Esau hugged him, threw his arms around him, and kissed him. They both cried.
20. Genesis 45:14-15 Then he threw his arms around his brother Benjamin and wept, and Benjamin embraced him, weeping. And he kissed all his brothers and wept over them. Afterward his brothers talked with him.
21. Matthew 4:18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen.
22. Genesis 25:24-26 When her days to give birth were completed, behold, there were twins in her womb. The first came out red, all his body like a hairy cloak, so they called his name Esau. Afterward his brother came out with his hand holding Esau’s heel, so his name was called Jacob. Isaac was sixty years old when she bore them.