Bible verses about worldly things
Allow your life to reflect how thankful you are for what Christ has done for you on the cross. Christians love Christ so much. We say, “I don’t want this life anymore. I hate sin. I don’t want to live for earthly possessions anymore, I want to live for Christ.” God has granted believers repentance.
We have a change of mind about everything and a new direction in life. Getting to know Christ more and spending time with Him causes worldliness in our lives to fade.
Ask yourself this. Do you want this life or the next life? You can’t have both! If someone has truly put their faith in Jesus Christ they will not be a friend of the world.
They will not live in darkness like unbelievers. They will not live for material possessions. All these things that the world desires will rot in the end. We must make war.
We must make sure that things never become an obsession and obstacle in our lives. We must be careful. It’s so easy to start going back to things of the world.
When you take your mind off Christ then it will be put on the world. You will start getting distracted by everything. Make war! Christ died for you. Live for Him. Let Christ be your ambition. Let Christ be your focus.
- “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.” C. S. Lewis
- “By grace I understand the favor of God, and also the gifts and working of his Spirit in us; as love, kindness, patience, obedience, mercifulness, despising of worldly things, peace, concord, and such like.” William Tyndale
- “We are called to be world changers not world chasers.”
What does the Bible say?
1. 1 Peter 2:10-11 Dear friends, I warn you as “temporary residents and foreigners” to keep away from worldly desires that wage war against your very souls. “Once you had no identity as a people; now you are God’s people. Once you received no mercy; now you have received God’s mercy.”
2. Titus 2:11-13 After all, God’s saving kindness has appeared for the benefit of all people. It trains us to avoid ungodly lives filled with worldly desires so that we can live self-controlled, moral, and godly lives in this present world. At the same time we can expect what we hope for the appearance of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.
3 .1 John 2:15-16 Don’t love this evil world or the things in it. If you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. This is all there is in the world: wanting to please our sinful selves, wanting the sinful things we see, and being too proud of what we have. But none of these comes from the Father. They come from the world.
4. 1 Peter 4:12 Dear friends, do not be surprised by the fiery ordeal that is taking place among you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.
5. Luke 16:11 And if you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven?
6. 1 Peter 1:13-14 Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep a clear head, and set your hope completely on the grace to be given you when Jesus, the Messiah, is revealed. As obedient children, do not be shaped by the desires that used to influence you when you were ignorant.
Why trust things that can cause you harm in the future? Put your trust in the Lord alone.
7. Proverbs 11:28 The person who trusts in his wealth will fall, but the righteous will flourish like green leaves.
8. Matthew 6:19 “Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal.”
9. 1 Timothy 6:9 But people who long to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction.
Is it all worth it in the end?
10. Luke 9:25 It is worth nothing for you to have the whole world if you yourself are destroyed or lost.
11. 1 John 2:17 The world is passing away, and all the things that people want in the world are passing away. But whoever does what God wants will live forever.
Envying people of the world like celebrities and their lifestyle.
12. Proverbs 23:17 Do not envy sinners in your heart. Instead, continue to fear the Lord. There is indeed a future, and your hope will never be cut off.
13. Proverbs 24:1-2 Don’t envy evil people or desire their company. For their hearts plot violence, and their words always stir up trouble.
Put your focus on what really matters.
14. Colossians 3:2 Keep your mind on things above, not on worldly things.
15. Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure, acceptable, or commendable.
16. Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Worldly things will cause you to lose your desire and passion for the Lord.
17. Luke 8:14 The seeds that fell among the thorns represent those who hear the message, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the cares and riches and pleasures of this life. And so they never grow into maturity.
God will sometimes bless people in certain areas so they can in return bless others.
18. Luke 16:9-10 Here’s the lesson: Use your worldly resources to benefit others and make friends. Then, when your earthly possessions are gone, they will welcome you to an eternal home. If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities.
19. Luke 11:41 A generous person will be enriched, and the one who provides water for others will himself be satisfied.
Do not participate in the things of the world.
20. Colossians 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
21. Romans 13:13 Because we belong to the day, we must live decent lives for all to see. Don’t participate in the darkness of wild parties and drunkenness, or in sexual promiscuity and immoral living, or in quarreling and jealousy.
22. Ephesians 5:11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.
23. 1 Peter 4:3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries.
The knowledge of the world.
24. 1 John 5:19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.
25. 1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness.”
Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.