Bible verses about success
We all desire success, but a believer desires a different type of success than the world. Success for a Christian is the obedience to the known will of God whether that means going through trials or receiving a blessing. True success is doing what God wants for us even though it is painful, it costs us, etc. Many people look at mega churches like Joel Osteen’s church, but that is not success.
Jesus said, “be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”
He is teaching the prosperity gospel, God is nowhere near that. You can have a million people in your church and that could be the most unsuccessful church in God’s eyes because God is not in it.
A church of 3 people that God said to plant is far more successful and even though it is small, God wills that some people have small ministries for His glory.
- “Success is on the same road as failure; success is just a little further down the road.” Jack Hyles
- If our identity is in our work, rather than Christ, success will go to our heads, and failure will go to our hearts.” Tim Keller
- “To lose something in the will of God is to find something better.” Jack Hyles
- “It is better to fail in a cause that will ultimately succeed than to succeed in a cause that will ultimately fail.”
– Peter Marshall
- “The difference between success and failure is work.” Jack Hyles
- Failure is not the opposite of success, it’s part of success
Many people want their own glory and not the glory of the Lord.
They want to be known as success stories and have a big name. Are you willing to do the will of God even if that means there is no glory for you and your name is so small?
If God told you to start a ministry would you be willing to do it if that meant only one person would hear you preach and that is the janitor who cleans the place? Do you want what you want or do you want what God wants? Do you want to be seen by man or do you want God to be seen?
1. Philippians 2:3 nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
2. John 7:18 Whoever speaks on their own does so to gain personal glory, but he who seeks the glory of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.
3. John 8:54 Jesus replied, “If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me.
Success is doing what God told you to do regardless of the cost and the consequences. I know sometimes it is hard, but because God’s love is so great we must.
4. 2 Corinthians 4:8-10 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.
5. Luke 22:42-44 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.
Even if it is something noble like planting a church we are not being successful when we choose to plant a church and God wants us to do something else such as being a janitor. It’s about His will and His timing.
6. Acts 16:6-7 Paul and his companions traveled throughout the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia. When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to.
7. Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Sometimes people are going to say things to distract you, such as why are you doing this it’s not successful, God is clearly not with you, but people don’t know what God told you.
It might not be successful in people’s eyes, but it is successful in God’s eyes because He told you to do it and He allowed it and even though you may go through trials He will make a way. Do you remember the story of Job? His wife and friends were telling him things that were not true. He was in the will of God. Success doesn’t always appear how we think it should be. Success can be a trial that leads to a blessing.
8. Job 2:9-10 His wife said to him, “Are you still maintaining your integrity? Curse God and die!” He replied, “You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?” In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.
9. 1 John 2:16-17 For everything in the world–the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life–comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.
Sometimes being successful in God’s eyes is helping us grow in humility.
Putting us in the back and helping the person who leads. Holding the rope for the one who goes down in the well. A group of people praying in the back while the preacher leads. Being a servant is success.
10. Mark 9:35 Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, “Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all.”
11. Mark 10:43-45 But it is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant; and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”
12. John 13:14-16 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.
Does God provide financial success?
Yes and there is nothing wrong with blessings. I pray for this blessing. But God blesses us so we can be a blessing to others, not so we can be greedy. If God blesses you financially glory to God. If He blesses you with trials, which helps you bear fruit, grow, and know God more, then glory to God.
13. Deuteronomy 8:18 You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day.
When you are in God’s will He will open doors for you. Evangelism, school, spouse, jobs, etc.
14. Genesis 24:40 “He replied, ‘The LORD, before whom I have walked faithfully, will send his angel with you and make your journey a success, so that you can get a wife for my son from my own clan and from my father’s family.
15. Proverbs 2:7 He holds success in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,
16. 1 Samuel 18:14 In everything he did he had great success, because the LORD was with him.
17. Revelation 3:8 I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.
True faith in Christ alone will change the very center of your life from your will to God’s will.
You will have new desires for Christ to live a life pleasing to Him. Living by the Word of God will give you success. Not only should you read and memorize it, you should walk by it.
18. Joshua 1:8 “This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.
When you are walking with the Lord God is always by your side and He blesses you in your work. God makes the way. God gets all the glory.
19. Deuteronomy 2:7 “For the LORD your God has blessed you in all that you have done; He has known your wanderings through this great wilderness. These forty years the LORD your God has been with you; you have not lacked a thing.”
You have to continually confess your sins as you walk with the Lord. This is part of success.
20. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Pray for success with your eyes on the Lord and His will.
21. Psalm 118:25 Please, LORD, please save us. Please, LORD, please give us success.
22. Nehemiah 1:11 O Lord, please hear my prayer! Listen to the prayers of those of us who delight in honoring you. Please grant me success today by making the king favorable to me. Put it into his heart to be kind to me.” In those days I was the king’s cup-bearer.
Instead of waiting for an answer expect an answer. Expect God to grant you success. Believe He will.
23. Nehemiah 2:20 I answered them by saying, “The God of heaven will give us success. We his servants will start rebuilding, but as for you, you have no share in Jerusalem or any claim or historic right to it.”
24. Genesis 24:42 “When I came to the spring today, I said, ‘LORD, God of my master Abraham, if you will, please grant success to the journey on which I have come.
Success might look like failure.
There was a preacher who never had anyone come to his service, but an 11 year old kid that lived near by. His ministry would never be considered a success to the world, but that 11 year old kid got saved, he grew up, and God used him to save millions. Don’t look to what is seen.
Jesus was the biggest failure to the world. A man claiming to be God who couldn’t save Himself on the cross. A holy God has to punish us, but He made a way for us. God crushed His Son for the world to be saved. He made a way to be reconciled to Him by repenting and trusting in Jesus Christ alone. That is a success story.
25. 1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
Proverbs 16:3 Commit your actions to the LORD, and your plans will succeed.