Bible verses about purgatory
Purgatory is another lie from the Catholic Church. It is false and it disrespects our Lord Jesus Christ. What purgatory is basically saying is that the New Testament is false, Jesus Christ who is God in the flesh is not enough to purify sins, Jesus was a liar, Jesus basically came for no reason, etc. Of all the false teachings of Catholicism, this is probably the most foolish.
Justification is by faith in the blood of Christ alone. Christ died for all sins. Throughout Scripture we learn it’s either you go to Heaven or hell.
You don’t need to suffer for a period of time before you’re able to get into Heaven. If someone believes this they will go to hell because they are saying I’m not saved by Christ alone.
Jesus your death was not enough to atone for my sins. Please do not believe in this dangerous, deceitful, man-made doctrine. Everything was finished on the cross.
- “If I were a Roman Catholic, I should turn a heretic, in sheer desperation, because I would rather go to heaven than go to purgatory.” Charles Spurgeon
- All who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.
CCC 1031 Exposed
- The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned. The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire: As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the Final Judgment, there is a purifying fire. He who is truth says that whoever utters blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be pardoned neither in this age nor in the age to come. From this sentence we understand that certain offenses can be forgiven in this age, but certain others in the age to come.
What does the Bible say? Was Jesus lying?
1. John 19:30 When Jesus had tasted it, he said, “It is finished!” Then he bowed his head and released his spirit.
2. John 5:24 I tell you the truth, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life.
Forgiveness: The blood of Christ is enough.
3. 1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
4. Colossians 1:14 who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins.
5. Hebrews 1:3 He is the reflection of God’s glory and the exact likeness of his being, and he holds everything together by his powerful word. After he had provided a cleansing from sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Highest Majesty
6. 1 John 4:10 Love consists in this: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
7. 1 John 1:9 If we make it our habit to confess our sins, in his faithful righteousness he forgives us for those sins and cleanses us from all unrighteousness.
8. 1 John 2:2 It is he who is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for the whole world’s.
Saved by faith in Christ alone
9. Romans 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus the Messiah.
10. Romans 3:28 For we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.
11. Romans 11:6 Now if by grace, then it is not by works; otherwise grace ceases to be grace.
12. Galatians 2:21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”
13. Romans 8:1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
14. John 3:16-18 “For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him. “There is no judgment against anyone who believes in him. But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in God’s one and only Son.
15. John 3:36 And anyone who believes in God’s Son has eternal life. Anyone who doesn’t obey the Son will never experience eternal life but remains under God’s angry judgment.”
It’s either you’re going to Heaven or you’re going to hell.
16. Hebrews 9:27 Indeed, just as people are destined to die once and after that to be judged
17. Matthew 25:46 And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life.”
18. Matthew 7:13-14 “Go in through the narrow gate, because the gate is wide and the road is spacious that leads to destruction, and many people are entering by it. How narrow is the gate and how constricted is the road that leads to life, and there aren’t many people who find it!”
19. Matthew 15:8-9 ‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is empty, because they teach human rules as doctrines.
20. Mark 7:8 You abandon the commandment of God and hold to human tradition.”
21. 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 So we are always confident, even though we know that as long as we live in these bodies we are not at home with the Lord. For we live by believing and not by seeing. Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord.
22. Philippians 1:21-24 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.
23. Romans 5:6-9 For at just the right time, while we were still powerless, the Messiah died for the ungodly. For it is rare for anyone to die for a righteous person, though somebody might be brave enough to die for a good person. But God demonstrates his love for us by the fact that the Messiah died for us while we were still sinners. Now that we have been justified by his blood, how much more will we be saved from wrath through him!
24. Revelation 21:3-4 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
The rich man and Lazarus
25. Luke 16:22-26 One day the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. And being in torment in Hades, he looked up and saw Abraham a long way off, with Lazarus at his side. Father Abraham!’ he called out, ‘Have mercy on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this flame!’ “‘Son, Abraham said, ‘remember that during your life you received your good things, just as Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here, while you are in agony Besides all this, a great chasm has been fixed between us and you, so that those who want to pass over from here to you cannot; neither can those from there cross over to us.’
Bonus: The thief on the cross
Luke 23:39-43 One of the criminals hanging beside him scoffed, “So you’re the Messiah, are you? Prove it by saving yourself—and us, too, while you’re at it!” But the other criminal protested, “Don’t you fear God even when you have been sentenced to die? We deserve to die for our crimes, but this man hasn’t done anything wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom.” And Jesus replied, “I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise.”