Bible verses about healthcare
Although Scripture does not directly talk about healthcare, there are definitely many biblical principles that we can follow regarding this topic.
Health is important to the Lord and it is essential for a healthy walk with Christ.
- “God made your body, Jesus died for your body, and He expects you to take care of your body.”
- “Take care of your body. It’s your only place to live.”
- “Everything God makes has a purpose.”
It is always wise to make plans for the future.
We should be doing everything necessary to remain in good health. When we are not preparing ourselves, it may seem easier now, but we may be hurting ourselves in the long run. When you are negligent of your body it may come back to haunt you as you get older. We should be getting a good night’s sleep, regular exercise, we should be eating healthy, refraining from things and activities that may harm our bodies, etc.
1. Proverbs 6:6-8 “Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise, Which, having no chief, Officer or ruler, Prepares her food in the summer And gathers her provision in the harvest.”
2. Proverbs 27:12 “A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
3. Proverbs 14:16 “The wise are cautious and avoid danger; fools plunge ahead with reckless confidence.”
What does the Bible say about healthcare?
Scripture tells us to take care of our bodies. Taking care of the body that the Lord has given you is another form of honoring the Lord. It is revealing a heart that is grateful for what God has given them. You want to be prepared physically to do whatever God calls you to do.
4. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 “Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.”
5. Luke 21:34 “Be on guard, so that your hearts will not be weighted down with dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of life, and that day will not come on you suddenly like a trap.”
6. 1 Timothy 4:8 “For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.”
Should Christians buy health insurance?
I believe that all families should be covered with some type of healthcare. In John 16:33 Jesus said, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” Jesus made it abundantly clear that we would go through trials.
Healthcare is a form of preparing yourself and your family. Medical costs are skyrocketing! You never want to have to pay for a medical emergency out of pocket. Many people think that it is showing a lack of faith. No! Above everything else we trust in the Lord. However, it is us being wise and caring for our family. If traditional health insurance costs too much, then you can look into more affordable options. There are many Christian insurance alternatives that you can take advantage of such as Medi-Share.
7. 1 Timothy 5:8 “Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.”
8. Proverbs 19:3 “A person’s own folly leads to their ruin, yet their heart rages against the LORD.”
God has blessed us with medical resources and we should take advantage of them.
Healthcare professionals in the Bible
12. Colossians 4:14 “Luke, the beloved physician, sends you his greetings, and also Demas.”
13. Genesis 50:2 “And Joseph commanded his servants the physicians to embalm his father. So the physicians embalmed Israel.”
14. 2 Chronicles 16:12 “In the thirty-ninth year of his reign Asa was afflicted with a disease in his feet. Though his disease was severe, even in his illness he did not seek help from the LORD, but only from the physicians.”
15. Mark 5:25-28 “And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years. She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse. When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, because she thought, “If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.”