What does the Bible say about negativity?
If you’re a Christian dealing with negativity in your life, the best way to overcome this, is to submit to God. Don’t be conformed to the world and don’t hang around bad influences. Be still and set your minds on Christ to rid yourself of the worries of life. Meditate on God’s promises to help with depression and worries. Get rid of all anger and evil speech by walking by the Spirit. Avoid the devil and give him no opportunity. Continually give the Lord thanks for all He’s done in your life and all He continues to do.
Christian quotes about negativity
“Paul never developed a negative attitude. He picked his bloody body up out of the dirt and went back into the city where he had almost been stoned to death, and he said, “Hey, about that sermon I didn’t finish preaching–here it is!” John Hagee
“The joyless Christian reveals himself by having negative thoughts and talk about others, in a lack of concern for others welfare, and a failure to intercede on others behalf. Joyless believers are self-centered, selfish, proud, and often vengeful and their self-centeredness inevitably manifests itself in prayerlessness.” John MacArthur
“Two types of voices command your attention today. Negative ones fill your mind with doubt, bitterness, and fear. Positive ones purvey hope and strength. Which one will you choose to heed?” Max Lucado
“People may have spoken negative things over you but the good news is, people don’t determine your future, God does.”
Think positivity and stop worrying because the Lord will help you.
1. Matthew 6:34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”
2. Matthew 6:27 “Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?”
3. Matthew 6:34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.”
Don’t associate with negative people.
4. 1 Corinthians 5:11 “But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one.”
5. Titus 3:10 “If people are causing divisions among you, give a first and second warning. After that, have nothing more to do with them.”
6. 1 Corinthians 15:33 (ESV) “Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”
6. Proverbs 1:11 They may say, “Come and join us. Let’s hide and kill someone! Just for fun, let’s ambush the innocent!
7. Proverbs 22:25 (KJV) “Lest thou learn his ways, and get a snare to thy soul.”
Speaking negative words
8. Proverbs 10:11 “The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, but the mouth of the wicked conceals violence.”
9. Proverbs 12:18 “There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”
10. Proverbs 15:4 “A soothing tongue [speaking words that build up and encourage] is a tree of life, But a perversive tongue [speaking words that overwhelm and depress] crushes the spirit.”
11. Jeremiah 9:8 “Their tongues are deadly arrows; they speak deception. With his mouth a man speaks peace to his neighbor, but in his heart he sets a trap for him.”
12. Ephesians 4:29 “Let no unwholesome word come out of your mouth, but if there is any good word for edification according to the need of the moment, say that, so that it will give grace to those who hear.”
13. Ecclesiastes 10:12 “The words from the mouth of a wise person are gracious, but the lips of a fool consume him.”
14. Proverbs 10:32″The lips of the righteous know what is appropriate, but the mouth of the wicked, only what is perverse.”
Fight to not dwell on negative thoughts
Let’s work on getting rid of negativity.
15. Matthew 5:28 “But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”
16. 1 Peter 5:8 “Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”
Negative thoughts lead to depression
17. Proverbs 15:13 “A glad heart makes a cheerful face, but by sorrow of heart the spirit is crushed.”
18. Proverbs 17:22 “A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.”
19. Proverbs 18:14 “The human spirit can endure in sickness, but a crushed spirit who can bear?”
Negativity seems right in your own mind.
20. Proverbs 16:2 “All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the spirit.”
21. Proverbs 14:12 “There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death.”
Finding peace in Christ
22. Psalm 119:165 “Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.”
23. Isaiah 26:3 “You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.” (Scripture about trusting God)
24. Romans 8:6 “For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.”
Resist the devil when he tries to tempt you with negativity
25. Ephesians 6:11 “Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.”
26. James 4:7 “Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”
27. Romans 13:14 “Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.”
Advice for Christians struggling with negative thoughts
28. Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
29. Galatians 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
30. Psalm 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”
31. Romans 12:21 “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”
32. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 “give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”