If we’re honest, we all struggle to control our thoughts. Ungodly and evil thoughts are constantly seeking to wage war in our minds. The question is, do you dwell on those thoughts or fight to switch those thoughts? First and foremost, God gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. In our struggle, we can rest in the perfect work of Christ on our behalf. Secondly, those who have placed their faith in Christ alone for salvation have been given the Holy Spirit, who helps us fight against sin and temptation.
Christian quotes about controlling your thoughts
“When you fix your thoughts on God, God fixes your thoughts.”
“We must do our business faithfully; without trouble or disquiet, recalling our mind to GOD mildly, and with tranquility, as often as we find it wandering from Him.”
“Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny.”
“You must keep your memory clean and pure, as it were a wedlock chamber, from all strange thoughts, fancies and imaginations, and it must be trimmed and adorned with holy meditations and virtues of Christ’s holy crucified life and passion: That God may continually and ever rest therein.”
What does the Bible say about controlling your thoughts?
1. Philippians 4:7 “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
2. Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”
3. Colossians 3:1 “If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.”
4. Colossians 3:2 “Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.”
5. Colossians 3:5 “Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.”
6. Isaiah 26:3 “You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.”
7. Colossians 3:12-14 “Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.”
Are you renewing your mind with the Word of God or with the world?
8. 2 Timothy 2:22 “So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.”
9. 1 Timothy 6:11 “But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.”
10. 3 John 1:11 “Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God.”
11. Mark 7:20-22 “And he said, “What comes out of a person is what defiles him. For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness.”
Resist the devil by remaining in the Word, submitting to the Word, repenting daily, and praying daily.
12. 1 Peter 5:8 “Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.”
13. Ephesians 6:11 “Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.”
14. James 4:7 “Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”
15. 1 Peter 5:9 “Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.”
16. 1 Peter 1:13 “Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.”
Bring your anger, bitterness, and resentment to God
17. Ephesians 4:26 “Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger.”
18. Proverbs 29:11 “A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.”
19. Proverbs 12:16 “Fools show their annoyance at once, but the prudent overlook an insult.”
20. James 1:19-20 “Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.”
21. Ephesians 4:25 “Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another.”
22. James 1:26 “If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless.”
23. Romans 12:2 “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.”
Pray to the Holy Spirit to help you to control your thoughts
24. John 14:26 “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.”
25. Romans 8:26 “Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.”
Bonus: Meditate on God’s Words / Temptation
Psalm 119:15 “I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.”
1 Corinthians 10:13 “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.”
Thank you for these WORD specific thorough, life saving scriptures on topics of thoughts, mouth, idolatry and more. I know the WORD after 40 years but I cannot stop SPEAKING the WORD daily in order to stay STRONG and living in Victory against the WILES of the enemy to the end. And I must keep the WORD OF GOD deep in my heart. Thank you much and GOD BLESS YOU for your website!