Bible verses about walking with God
When you walk with someone obviously you won’t be going in opposite directions. If you walk in a different direction you can’t listen to them, you can’t enjoy them, you can’t share things with them, and you won’t be able to understand them. When you walk with the Lord, your will is going to align with His will. Since you’re walking side by side with Him your focus will be on Him.
When you’re constantly walking with someone you’re going to understand them better than you ever did. You’re going to know their heart. Walking with God is not just a time in the prayer closet, it’s a lifestyle that we can only obtain through Jesus Christ.
It’s a journey. Picture you’re going on a trip with your best friend who hates your pet alligator. You know that it doesn’t please him so because you love him so much you’re not going to bring it on the trip.
In the same way you’re not going to bring along sin, and things that will hold you back. When you walk with God you choose to imitate Him and glorify Him in every way.
In this evil generation it’s not hard to notice a man or woman of God whose heart is aligned with God’s heart because their light shines so bright and they’re set apart from the world.
- “Those who walk with God, always reach their destination.” ― Henry Ford
- “If I walk with the world, I can’t walk with God.” Dwight L. Moody
- “God’s mighty power comes when God’s people learn to walk with God.” Jack Hyles
What does the Bible say?
1. Micah 6:8 He has made it clear to you, mortal man, what is good and what the LORD is requiring from you— to act with justice, to treasure the LORD’s gracious love, and to walk humbly in the company of your God.
2. Colossians 1:10-11 so that you might live in a manner worthy of the Lord and be fully pleasing to him as you bear fruit while doing all kinds of good things and growing in the full knowledge of God. You are being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might, so that you might patiently endure everything with joy.
3. Deuteronomy 8:6 Observe the commands of the LORD your God by walking in his ways and by fearing him.
4. Romans 13:13 Let us walk with decency, as in the daylight: not in carousing and drunkenness; not in sexual impurity and promiscuity; not in quarreling and jealousy.
5. Ephesians 2:10 For we are His creation, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them.
7. 2 Chronicles 7:17-18 “As for you, if you faithfully follow me as David your father did, obeying all my commands, decrees, and regulations, then I will establish the throne of your dynasty. For I made this covenant with your father, David, when I said, ‘One of your descendants will always rule over Israel.
Jesus was never empty because He always walked with God doing His will.
8. John 4:32-34 But he said to them, “I have food to eat that you know nothing about. Then his disciples said to each other, “Could someone have brought him food?” “My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.
9. 1 John 2:6 The one who says he resides in God ought himself to walk just as Jesus walked.
When we walk with the Lord we draw closer to the Lord with all our heart. He becomes our focus. Our hearts longs for Him. Our heart seeks His presence. Our desire to have fellowship with Christ and be like Him will grow while our worldly desires will decrease.
10. Hebrews 10:22 let us continue to come near with sincere hearts in the full assurance that faith provides, because our hearts have been sprinkled clean from a guilty conscience, and our bodies have been washed with pure water.
11. Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
12. Luke 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
When walking with God we desire to please God and we allow the Lord to work in our lives to make us into the image of His Son.
13. Romans 8:29 because those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.
14. Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.
When walking with the Lord you will grow in your awareness of sin in your life and your need for a Savior. More and more we will grow in hatred for our sins and want to rid our lives of them. More and more we will confess and forsake our sins.
15. Luke 18:13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance and would not even look up to heaven. Instead, he continued to beat his chest and said, ‘O God, be merciful to me, the sinner that I am!’
16. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
When you’re walking with God you don’t let other things distract you from Christ.
17. Luke 10:40-42 But Martha was distracted by her many tasks, and she came up and asked, “Lord, don’t You care that my sister has left me to serve alone? So tell her to give me a hand.” The Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has made the right choice, and it will not be taken away from her.”
We will walk by faith.
18. 2 Corinthians 5:7 Indeed, our lives are guided by faith, not by sight.
19. Romans 1:17 For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”
We can’t walk with the Lord if we’re living in darkness. You can’t have God and evil.
20. 1 John 1:6-7 If we say we have fellowship with him and yet keep on walking in the darkness, we are lying and not practicing the truth. But if we walk in the light as he himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.
21. Galatians 5:16 I say then, walk by the Spirit and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
Your will must be aligned with God’s will.
22. Amos 3:3 Do two walk together unless they have agreed to do so?
23. Genesis 5:21-24 Enoch was 65 years old when he fathered Methuselah. And after the birth of Methuselah, Enoch walked with God 300 years and fathered other sons and daughters. So Enoch’s life lasted 365 years. Enoch walked with God; then he was not there because God took him.
24. Genesis 6:8-9 Noah, however, found favor in the sight of the LORD. These are the family records of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among his contemporaries; Noah walked with God.
25. Genesis 24:40 He said to me, “The LORD before whom I have walked will send His angel with you and make your journey a success, and you will take a wife for my son from my family and from my father’s household.”
John 8:12 Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”