What does the Bible say about studying?
You will not get through your Christian walk of faith without studying the Bible. Everything you need in life is in God’s Word. With it we find encouragement and guidance on our walk of faith. With it we learn about the gospel of Jesus Christ, the attributes of God, and God’s commandments. The Bible helps you to find the answer to things that science can’t give answers to, such as the meaning of life, and more. We must all get to know God more through His Word. Make it your goal to read your Bible daily.
Pray before you read it for more zeal and understanding. Ask God to help your learn something in the passages.
Don’t just read Scripture, study it! Open your eyes to see what something truly means. Find Jesus in the Old Testament. Study diligently.
Think to yourself, what does this passage remind me of. Just like Jesus used Scripture to defend against Satan’s tricks, use Scripture to avoid temptation and defend against false teachers that may try to lead you astray.
Christian quotes about studying
“The Bible is the greatest of all books; to study it is the noblest of all pursuits; to understand it, the highest of all goals.” ― Charles C. Ryrie
“Remember, Christ’s scholars must study upon their knees.” Charles Spurgeon
“Merely reading the Bible is no use at all without we study it thoroughly, and hunt it through, as it were, for some great truth.” Dwight L. Moody
“One thing I have noticed in studying the Word of God, and that is, when a man is filled with the Spirit he deals largely with the Word of God, whereas the man who is filled with his own Ideas refers rarely to the Word of God. He gets along without it, and you seldom see it mentioned in his discourses.” D.L. Moody
“I never saw a useful Christian who was not a student of the Bible.” D. L. Moody
“Bible study is the most essential ingredient in the believer’s spiritual life, because it is only in study of the Bible as that is blessed by the Holy Spirit that Christians hear Christ and discover what it means to follow Him.” — James Montgomery Boice
“By studying Proverbs and other portions of the Bible it often seems that discernment is a subset of wisdom. There seems to be a progression from knowledge, which refers to bare facts, to wisdom, which refers to understanding moral and ethical dimensions of facts and data, to discernment, which is the application of wisdom. Wisdom is a prerequisite to discernment. Discernment is wisdom in action.” Tim Challies
“He that would be conformed to Christ’s image, and become a Christlike man, must be constantly studying Christ Himself.” J.C. Ryle
“When a Christian shuns fellowship with other Christians, the devil smiles. When he stops studying the Bible, the devil laughs. When he stops praying, the devil shouts for joy.” Corrie Ten Boom
Start off your study with the right attitude
1. Ezra 7:10 This was because Ezra had determined to study and obey the Law of the Lord and to teach those decrees and regulations to the people of Israel.
2. Psalm 119:15-16 I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways. I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word.
Let’s learn what Scripture says about Studying the Word
3. Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any double-edged sword, piercing until it divides soul and spirit, joints and marrow, as it judges the thoughts and purposes of the heart.
4. Joshua 1:8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.
5. Ephesians 6:17 Also take salvation as your helmet and the word of God as the sword that the Spirit supplies.
Studying Scripture will help you with everyday life, temptation, and sin.
6. Proverbs 4:10-13 Listen, my son: accept my words, and you’ll live a long, long time. I have directed you in the way of wisdom, and I have led you along straight paths. When you walk, your step will not be hindered, and when you run, you will not stumble. Hold on to instruction, do not let it go! Guard wisdom, because she is your life!
Study so that you are not deceived by false teachings.
7. Acts 17:11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
8. 1 John 4:1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to determine if they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
Studying helps us serve God better
9. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 Every scripture is inspired by God and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the person dedicated to God may be capable and equipped for every good work.
10. 2 Timothy 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
Study to teach others and to be better prepared to answer questions.
11. 2 Timothy 2:2 What you have heard from me through many witnesses entrust to faithful people who will be able to teach others as well.
12. 1 Peter 3:15 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.
We should live by the Word of God.
13. Matthew 4:4 But he answered, “It is written, ‘Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.”
God speaks through His Word
Not only are there many promises in Scripture, sometimes God speaks to us through His Word in a way that we know it was Him. If God gave you a promise. He will fulfill it at the best time.
14. Isaiah 55:11 so My word that comes from My mouth will not return to Me empty, but it will accomplish what I please and will prosper in what I send it to do.”
15. Luke 1:37 For no word from God will ever fail.
Study to honor the Lord and to express your great love for Him and His Word.
16. Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
17. Psalm 119:96-98 To all perfection I see a limit, but your commands are boundless. Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. Your commands are always with me and make me wiser than my enemies.
18. Psalm 119:47-48 I will take delight in your commands, which I love. I will lift up my hands to your commands, which I love, and I will meditate on your statutes.
The Scriptures point to Christ and the gospel that saves.
19. John 5:39-40 You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.
Store His Word in your heart
20. Psalm 119:11-12 I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. I praise you, O LORD; teach me your decrees.
21. Psalm 37:31 The instruction of his God is in his heart; his steps will not slip.
Scripture is God-breathed and has no errors.
22. 2 Peter 1:20-21 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
23. Proverbs 30:5-6 Every word of God proves true. He is a shield to all who come to him for protection. Do not add to his words, or he may rebuke you and expose you as a liar.
Study Scripture to transform your life.
24. Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
25. Matthew 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Romans 15:4 For whatever was written in the past was written for our instruction, so that we may have hope through endurance and through the encouragement from the Scriptures.
Thank you for these verses! I wanted to supplement a women’s Bible study I am currently taking.
From now on, I am going to write down every verse that pertains to studying Scripture, and why, as I read through my Bible from start to finish.