Bible verses about water
A world without water would be dry and dead. Water is essential for life! In the Bible, water is used as a symbolism for various things such as salvation, cleansing, the Holy Spirit, and more.
Quotes about water
- “Like a spring of pure water, God’s peace in our hearts brings cleansing and refreshment to our minds and bodies.”
- “God sometimes takes us into troubled waters not to drown us but to cleanse us.”
- “In oceans deep my faith will stand.”
- “Just like as water ever seeks and fills the lowest place, so the moment God finds you abased and empty, his glory and power flow in.” – Andrew Murray
- “Sometimes He parts the sea for us, sometimes He walks on water and carries us through and sometimes He just hushes the storm. Where it seems no way, He will make a way.”
God controls the waters.
1. Genesis 1:1-3 “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was formless and empty, and darkness covered the deep waters. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.”
2. Revelation 14:7 “Fear God,” he shouted. “Give glory to him. For the time has come when he will sit as judge. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea, and all the springs of water.”
3. Genesis 1:7 “So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so.”
4. Job 38:4-9 “Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you know so much. Who determined its dimensions and stretched out the surveying line? What supports its foundations, and who laid its cornerstone as the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy? “Who kept the sea inside its boundaries as it burst from the womb, and as I clothed it with clouds and wrapped it in thick darkness?”
5. Mark 4:39-41 “When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Silence! Be still!” Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. Then he asked them, “Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?” The disciples were absolutely terrified. “Who is this man?” they asked each other. “Even the wind and waves obey him!”
6. Psalm 89:8-9 “O LORD God of Heaven’s Armies! Where is there anyone as mighty as you, O LORD? You are entirely faithful. You rule the oceans. You subdue their storm-tossed waves.”
7. Psalm 107:28-29 “Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble, and he brought them out of their distress. He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed.”
8. Isaiah 48:21 “They did not thirst when He led them through the deserts; He made water flow for them from the rock; He split the rock, and water gushed out.”
The water that Jesus offers will never leave you thirsty.
This world promises us peace, joy, and satisfaction, but it never lives up to the promises. We end up more broken than ever before. The wells of this world leave us thirsty desiring more. Nothing can compare to the water that Jesus offers us. Has your self-worth been coming from the world lately? If so, it’s time to look to Christ who offers life in abundance. That thirst and that desire for more will be quenched by His Spirit.
9. John 4:13-14 “Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
10. Jeremiah 2:13 “For My people have committed two evils: They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living water, and they have dug cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that cannot hold water.”
11. Isaiah 55:1-2 “Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare.”
12. John 4:10-11 “Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.” “Sir,” the woman said, “you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water?”
13. John 4:15 “Please, sir,” the woman said, “give me this water! Then I’ll never be thirsty again, and I won’t have to come here to get water.”
14. Revelation 21:6 “Then He said to me, “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost.”
15. Revelation 22:17 “The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” Let the one who hears say, “Come!” And let the one who is thirsty come, and the one who desires the water of life drink freely.”
16. Isaiah 12:3 “You will joyfully draw water from the springs of salvation.”
Seeing a well of water
This passage is beautiful. Hagar was not blind, but God opened her eyes and He allowed her to see a well that she didn’t see before. It was all by His grace. It’s beautiful and joyous when our eyes are opened by the Spirit. Notice that the first thing that Hagar saw was a well of water. God opens our eyes to see the well of living water. With this water our souls are filled.
17. Genesis 21:19 “Then God opened her eyes and she saw a well of water. So she went and filled the skin with water and gave the boy a drink.”
The Good Shepherd
God will abundantly satisfy all of our needs. He is a faithful Shepherd that leads His flock to places where they will be spiritually satisfied. In these verses we see God’s goodness and the peace and joy that the Spirit brings.
18. Isaiah 49:10 “They will not hunger or thirst, Nor will the scorching heat or sun strike them down; For He who has compassion on them will lead them And will guide them to springs of water.”
19. Revelation 7:17 “For the Lamb in the center of the throne will be their shepherd. He will lead them to springs of living water, and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”
20. Psalm 23:1-2 “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.”
God greatly provides and enriches His creation.
21. Psalm 65:9-12 “You visit the earth and water it abundantly, enriching it greatly. God’s stream is filled with water, for You prepare the earth in this way, providing people with grain. You soften it with showers and bless its growth, soaking its furrows and leveling its ridges. You crown the year with Your goodness; Your ways overflow with plenty. The wilderness pastures overflow, and the hills are robed with joy.”
Does your soul thirst for God?
Do you want to know Him more? Do you want to experience His presence in a way that you have never experienced before? Is there a hunger and thirst in your heart that is not satisfied by anything else? There is in mine. I have to continually seek Him and cry out for more of Him.
22. Psalm 42:1 “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God.”
Born of water
In John 3:5 Jesus said to Nicodemus, “Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God.” Contrary to popular belief, this verse is not referring to water baptism. Water in this passage is referring to spiritual cleansing from the Holy Spirit when someone gets saved. Those who put their trust in the blood of Christ will be made new by the regenerative work of the Holy Spirit. We see this in Ezekiel 36.
23. John 3:5 “Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.”
24. Ezekiel 36:25-26 “I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.”
The washing of water by the word.
We know that baptism does not cleanse us so Ephesians 5:26 can’t be referring to water baptism. The water of the Word purifies us by the truth that we find in the Scriptures. The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from the guilt and power of sin.
25. Ephesians 5:25-27 “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.”