Bible verses about making promises
Christians should not make promises at all. It doesn’t matter if it’s to God, our friends, or our children. Sometimes people make promises and they can’t deliver or sometimes people just don’t want to when the time comes. How does that glorify God? You don’t know how your life will be tomorrow.
You don’t know if you’re going to be able to keep your word. God will always be here for you. If you’re going to do something just do it. If you can’t then don’t. Don’t speak foolishly with your mouth. God is serious when it comes to vows to him or others. If you foolishly make a promise than you need to do what you said you would do. In the future do not make promises at all. If you have made one and you can’t keep it confess your sins and don’t do it again.
What does the Bible say?
1. Ecclesiastes 5:5 It is better not to make a promise than to make one and not keep it.
2. Proverbs 10:19 Sin is unavoidable when there is much talk, but whoever seals his lips is wise.
3. Ecclesiastes 5:6 Don’t let your mouth make you sin. And don’t defend yourself by telling the Temple messenger that the promise you made was a mistake. That would make God angry, and he might wipe out everything you have achieved.
4. Matthew 5:33-36 “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black.
5. Ecclesiastes 5:2 Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few.
6. Proverbs 20:25 Don’t trap yourself by making a rash promise to God and only later counting the cost.
7. Ecclesiastes 5:4 When you make a promise to God, don’t delay in following through, for God takes no pleasure in fools. Keep all the promises you make to him.
8. Proverbs 19:1 Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity Than he who is perverse in speech and is a fool.
Yes or no
9. James 5:12 But most of all, my brothers and sisters, never take an oath, by heaven or earth or anything else. Just say a simple yes or no, so that you will not sin and be condemned.
10. Matthew 5:38 Just say a simple, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Anything beyond this is from the evil one.
11. Ephesians 5:17 Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do.
12. Romans 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.
13. Ephesians 4:24-25 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body.
14. Colossians 3:10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.
You don’t know what will happen tomorrow.
15. James 4:14 How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog–it’s here a little while, then it’s gone.
16. Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.
If you made a promise you can’t keep. Repent, learn from your mistakes, and don’t make another one.
17. 1 John 1:9 But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.
God does not break his promises nor should we.
18. Numbers 23:19 God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?
19. 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
20. Deuteronomy 7:9 Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.
21. 2 Chronicles 21:7 Nevertheless, because of the covenant the LORD had made with David, the LORD was not willing to destroy the house of David. He had promised to maintain a lamp for him and his descendants forever.