What does the Bible say about retirement?
When deciding to retire always put God first to make wise decisions. When you finally do retire remember God is always with you to help and encourage you. Even though you retire from your job being a Christian and serving Christ never stops.
There are many people who retire and for the rest of their lives they use all their free time to play golf and watch TV all day and they talk about the things they used to do for Christ. God did not let you live long enough so you can play golf all day. Use your free time to serve God and advance His kingdom. If you know someone retiring please use these Scriptures for retirement cards.
Gray hair is a crown of glory
1. Proverbs 16:31 Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life.
2. Proverbs 20:29 The glory of young men is their strength, gray hair the splendor of the old.
God has plans for older Christians
3. Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (God’s plan Bible verses)
4. Romans 8:28-30 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.
5. Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
God will not forsake you in your older age
6. Psalm 71:16-19 Lord God, I will come in the power of your mighty acts, remembering your righteousness—yours alone. God, you taught me from my youth, so I am still declaring your awesome deeds. Also, when I reach old age and have gray hair, God, do not forsake me, until I have declared your power to this generation and your might to the next one. Your many righteous deeds, God, are great.
7. Psalm 71:5-9 For you are my hope, Lord God, my security since I was young. I depended on you since birth, when you brought me from my mother’s womb; I praise you continuously. I have become an example to many that you are my strong refuge. My mouth is filled with your praise and your splendor daily. Don’t throw me away when I am old; do not abandon me when my strength fails.
God is with you
8. Isaiah 46:4-5 Even until your old age, I am the one, and I’ll carry you even until your gray hairs come. It is I who have created, and I who will carry, and it is I who will bear and save. “To whom will you compare me, count me equal, or liken me, so that I may be compared?
9. Genesis 28:15 I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”
10. Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Fear verses in the Bible)
11. Isaiah 42:1 “Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him, and he will bring justice to the nations.
Keep living for Christ and helping others
12. Galatians 6:9-10 Let’s not get tired of doing what is good, for at the right time we will reap a harvest—if we do not give up. So then, whenever we have the opportunity, let’s practice doing good to everyone, especially to the family of faith.
13. 1 Timothy 6:11-12 But you, man of God, must flee from all these things. Instead, you must pursue righteousness, godliness, faithfulness, love, endurance, and gentleness. Fight the good fight for the faith. Keep holding on to eternal life, to which you were called and about which you gave a good testimony in front of many witnesses.
14. Philippians 3:13-14 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
15. Acts 20:24 But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.
Doing work for God at an old age
16. Joshua 13:1-3 When Joshua had grown old, having lived many years, the Lord told him, “You are old and have lived many years, but much of the land still remains to be possessed. This territory remains: all of the Philistine regions, including all Geshurite holdings from the Shihor east of Egypt as far as the border of Ekron on the north (which is considered part of Canaan). This includes the five rulers of the Philistines, the Gazites, the Ashdodites, the Ashkelonites, the Gittites, the Ekronites, and the Avvites.
Examples of retirement in the Bible
17. Numbers 8:24-26 “Now regarding a descendant of Levi who is 25 years and above, he is to enter work in the service at the appointed place of meeting, but starting at 50 years of age, he is to retire from service and is no longer to work. He may minister to his brothers at the Tent of Meeting by keeping watch, but he is not to engage in service. This is how you are to act with respect to the obligations of the descendants of Levi.”
18. Proverbs 16:3 Commit your actions to the LORD, and your plans will succeed.
19. Titus 2:2-3 Older men are to be sober, serious, sensible, and sound in faith, love, and endurance. Likewise, older women are to show their reverence for God by their behavior. They are not to be gossips or addicted to alcohol, but to be examples of goodness.
20. Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but continuously be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you may be able to determine what God’s will is—what is proper, pleasing, and perfect.
I am retiring and want to keep my focus on God.
I am retiring as well; God, I will walk the walk you wanted me to walk through you, please let me know how!
I am retired from police department as Addl.DCP Hyderabad. The biblical quotations are very excited and supportive to lead further.