What does the Bible say about dying to self?
If you’re not willing to deny yourself, you can’t be a Christian. You must love Christ more than your mom, dad, and you must love him more than your own life. You must be willing to die for Christ. It is either you are slaves to sin or you are a slave to Christ. Accepting Christ will cost you an easy life.
You must deny yourself and take up the cross daily. You must trust in the Lord in the hardest situations. You must discipline yourself and say no to the world. Your life must be all about Christ.
Even if you are persecuted, have failures, you feel lonely, etc. You must continue to follow Christ. Most people who call themselves Christians will one day hear depart from me I never knew you and they will burn in all hell for all eternity.
If you love your life, love your sins, love the world, and don’t want to change you cannot be his disciple. God will not listen to the excuses that some people make such as God knows my heart.
Someone that wants to keep his life and still lives a continuous lifestyle of sin is not a Christian. That person is not a new creation and is just another false convert. You can’t even breath apart from him, it’s not about your best life now. The Christian life is hard.
You will go through trials, but the trials are building you in Christ. Your life is not for you it’s always been for Christ. He died for you even though you didn’t deserve it. Everything that you have is for Christ. All the good comes from him and the bad from you.
It’s not about my will anymore it’s about your will. You must humble yourself. If you have pride you’re going to try to justify sin and think you know what is best. You must fully rely on God.
There will be growth in your walk of faith. God will work in you to make you into the image of Christ. Through your battle with sin you will know all you have is Christ. You will see how bad of a sinner you are and how much Christ loved you he willfully came down and suffered the wrath of God in your place.
Scriptures that remind us to die to oneself
1. John 3:30 He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.
2. Galatians 2:20-21 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”
3. 1 Corinthians 15:31 I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.
4. Galatians 5:24-25 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives.
A new creation in Christ will choose to die to self
5. Ephesians 4:22-24 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
6. Colossians 3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
7. 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!
Dead to sin
We are no longer slaves to sin. We don’t live a continuous lifestyle of sin.
8. 1 Peter 2:24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.
9. Romans 6:1-6 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin.
10. Romans 6:8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.
11. Romans 13:14 Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.
Count the cost of following Christ
12. Luke 14:28-33 “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’ “Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won’t he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.
13. Luke 14:27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple
14. Matthew 10:37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
15. Luke 9:23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.
16. Luke 9:24-25 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self?
17. Matthew 10:38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
You must be set apart from the world.
18. Romans 12:1-2 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God–this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.
19. James 4:4 You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.
20. Mark 8:38 If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.”
21. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.
22. Matthew 22:37-38 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.
23. Proverbs 3:5-7 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil.
Dying for the glory of God
24. 1 Corinthians 10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
25. Colossians 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
Philippians 2:13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
Thank you – sadly plain speaking like this is rare. The bible is clear, we must die to ourselves but many preachers water down the message. Thank you for these very helpful bible verses! God will strengthen those who choose to follow Him and die to self. God is great!!
This is awesome!
I shared it with the ladies in our devotional group today.
In this time, it is hard to find individuals who are not looking for the fancy lifestyle and lots of money. These things are all good – if God is first. ~ Thank you for the reminders!
Thanks for this powerful insight of dying to self in order to be effective and in the Holy Spirit.
I really thank God for using you in this part of sermon it’s not preached in God churches because you preach about denying self and take up our cross people run away saying you are wasting their time.