Bible verses about quiet time with God
We always hear from Christians I don’t have time I have to work, do this, do that, etc. Often when we say these things it’s all talk and I’ll prove it. You say you’re too busy, but you had time for that 10-15 minute conversation with your friend. You say you didn’t have time, but you were playing with your apps and texting for 5-10 minutes.
You have no time but when you get home or wake up suddenly you have time for your favorite shows and for social media sites. No Christian is ever going to say, “I don’t want to spend time with God,” but our actions say it all. The men and women most used of God are the people who have fellowship with Jesus daily.
When I’m at work on my breaks instead of chitchatting with others I tell my friends, “I have to be alone with the Lord.” I turn off my phone and talk to Him, I read His Word, I hear His voice, and when I start getting deeper in the presence of God He shows me His fallen people and I grieve with Him.
You can’t hear God’s voice and feel His pain when you’re distracted by the world. God will show you your sin, encourage, help, express His love, guide, etc. You must be alone with Him. Find a quiet place. For me it’s in my car and in the backyard. For you it can be on a mountain, near a lake, in your closet, etc.
When you dedicate yourself to God be on guard because the devil will try to sidetrack you. He will bring your friends around, your favorite show will come on, and people will call you. Regardless you must choose the Lord and pray about these distracting things. Pray for that friend or family member who called. Pray for those negative and distracting thoughts you had during prayer. Yes community is amazing, but there must be a time daily when you get away from everything and you get silent before God and say, “Lord I need you speak to me Father.”
We must remove ourselves from the world.
1. Romans 12:1-2 I beg you therefore, my brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies living sacrifices, holy and acceptable to God by a logical service. Do not be conformed to this present world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may test and approve what is the will of God–what is good and well-pleasing and perfect.
2. 1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
Be still and set your mind on God.
3.Psalm 46:10 “Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
4. Lamentations 3:25-28 The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. It is good for a man to bear the yoke while he is young. Let him sit alone in silence, for the Lord has laid it on him.
5. Philippians 4:7-9 Then God’s peace, which goes beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your thoughts and emotions through Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure, acceptable, or commendable. Practice what you’ve learned and received from me, what you heard and saw me do. Then the God who gives this peace will be with you.
Seek the Lord’s face in prayer.
6. Matthew 6:6-8 When you pray, go to your room and close the door. Pray privately to your Father who is with you. Your Father sees what you do in private. He will reward you. “When you pray, don’t ramble like heathens who think they’ll be heard if they talk a lot. Don’t be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.”
7. 1 Chronicles 16:11 Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.
8. Romans 8:26-27 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
Jesus needed quiet time with the Lord. Are you stronger than Jesus?
9. Luke 5:15-16 Yet the news about him spread all the more, so that crowds of people came to hear him and to be healed of their sicknesses. But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.
10. Mark 1:35-37 Before daybreak the next morning, Jesus got up and went out to an isolated place to pray. Later Simon and the others went out to find him. When they found him, they said, “Everyone is looking for you.”
11. Luke 22:39-45 And he came out, and went, as he was wont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him. And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation. And he was withdrawn from them about a stone’s cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him. And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground. And when he rose up from prayer, and was come to his disciples, he found them sleeping for sorrow.
You can walk righteously and fight for Christ, but if you’re not spending time with God, then He will make a way for you to spend time with Him.
12. Revelation 2:1-5 To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands. I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary. Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first. Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place.
God is calling you daily.
13. Genesis 3:8-9 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden. And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
God crushed His perfect Son so we can be reconciled to Him. He loves you and wants you to have fellowship with Him. Think about all He did for you. Someone had to die. We have no excuse!
14. 2 Corinthians 5:18-19 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.
15. Romans 5:10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.
Quiet time is not only praying and being silent in God’s presence but it is meditating on Scripture. Tell God to speak to you in His Word.
16. Psalm 1:1-4 Blessed is the person who does not follow the advice of wicked people, take the path of sinners, or join the company of mockers. Rather, he delights in the teachings of the Lord and reflects on his teachings day and night. He is like a tree planted beside streams— a tree that produces fruit in season and whose leaves do not wither. He succeeds in everything he does. Wicked people are not like that. Instead, they are like husks that the wind blows away.
17. Joshua 1:8-9 Always remember what is written in that book of law. Speak about that book and study it day and night. Then you can be sure to obey what is written there. If you do this, you will be wise and successful in everything you do. Remember, I commanded you to be strong and brave. Don’t be afraid, because the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
18. Proverbs 5:1-2 My son, pay attention to my wisdom, turn your ear to my words of insight, that you may maintain discretion and your lips may preserve knowledge.
19. 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
20. Psalm 100:2-4 Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing! Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name!
21. Psalm 68:4-6 Sing to God, sing in praise of his name, extol him who rides on the clouds; rejoice before him–his name is the LORD. A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads out the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched lan.
22. 1 Corinthians 11:1 Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.
23. Ephesians 5:1 Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children.
24. Romans 12:11 Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord.
25. Psalm 91:1-5 As for you, the one who lives in the shelter of the sovereign One, and resides in the protective shadow of the mighty king– I say this about the LORD, my shelter and my stronghold, my God in whom I trust– he will certainly rescue you from the snare of the hunter and from the destructive plague. He will shelter you with his wings; you will find safety under his wings. His faithfulness is like a shield or a protective wall. You need not fear the terrors of the night, the arrow that flies by day.
Zephaniah 3:17 The LORD your God is in your midst, A victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.