Bible verses about plagiarism
Plagiarism is a sin. Not only is it stealing, it is deceiving others as well and Christians should have no part of it. In Christianity plagiarism can happen when writing, but it can also happen when preaching as well. Everyone wants to give that great sermon so bad that people are using bits and sometimes even using someone’s whole sermon without giving credit. Cite your sources and name the names of others, but do not copy. Remember God knows everything and He is not be pleased by this.
- When you have wit of your own, it’s a pleasure to credit other people for theirs. — Criss Jami
What does the Bible say?
1. Jeremiah 23:30 Therefore, take note! I am against the prophets”–the LORD’s declaration–“who steal My words from each other.
2. Matthew 19:18 “Which ones?” the man asked. And Jesus replied: “‘You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely.
3. Romans 2:21 Well then, if you teach others, why don’t you teach yourself? You tell others not to steal, but do you steal?
4. Ephesians 4:25 Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body.
5. Leviticus 19:11 “You are not to steal or lie or deal falsely with your neighbor.
6. Romans 13:9 For the commandments, “You must not commit adultery; you must not murder; you must not steal; you must not covet,” and every other commandment are summed up in this statement: “You must love your neighbor as yourself.”
Guard your heart
7. Matthew 15:19 For from the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, sexual immoralities, thefts, false testimonies, blasphemies.
8. Proverbs 4:23 Guard your heart above all else, for it is the source of life.
9. Galatians 5:25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.
10. Galatians 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
11. James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
12. Colossians 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
We must confess and forsake our sins. We must study instead of plagiarizing.
13. Psalm 32:5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD.” And you forgave the guilt of my sin.
14. 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
We must live and preach with integrity.
15. Proverbs 10:9 Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but he who makes his ways crooked will be found out.
Bonus: How would you feel if someone took your work as theirs?
Luke 6:31 “Treat others the same way you want them to treat you.