Bible verses about not working
Christians are to have nothing to do with idleness. Not only is it sinful, it is disgraceful as well. How does being slothful ever glorify God? We are never to live off of others. Idle hands are the devil’s workshop. When you’re not doing something productive with your time that leads to more sins. The person who doesn’t work will not eat and will come to poverty. If someone doesn’t have a job, then they should get up and be searching for one like it’s their full-time job. Here are many reasons to work and have a job.
What does the Bible say?
1. 2 Thessalonians 3:9-10 It was not because we do not have that right, but to give ourselves as an example for you to imitate. For even when we were with you, we used to give you this command: “If anyone is not willing to work, neither should he eat.”
2. Proverbs 21:25 The craving of a sluggard will be the death of him, because his hands refuse to work.
3. Proverbs 18:9-10 Whoever is lazy regarding his work is also a brother to the master of destruction. The name of the Lord is a strong tower; a righteous person rushes to it and is lifted up above the danger.
4. Proverbs 10:3-5 The Lord won’t cause the righteous to hunger, but he will reject what the wicked crave. Idle hands bring poverty, but hard-working hands lead to wealth. Whoever harvests during summer acts wisely, but the son who sleeps during harvest is disgraceful.
5. Proverbs 14:23 Prosperity comes from hard work, but talking too much leads to great scarcity.
6. Proverbs 12:11-12 The one who works his field will have plenty of food, but whoever chases daydreams lacks wisdom. The wicked person desires a stronghold, but the righteous root endures.
Do honest hard work
7. Ephesians 4:27-28 Do not give the devil an opportunity. The one who steals must steal no longer; rather he must labor, doing good with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with the one who has need.
8. Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatever you find to do with your hands, do it with all your might, because there is neither work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the grave, the place where you will eventually go.
9. 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 to aspire to lead a quiet life, to attend to your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you. In this way you will live a decent life before outsiders and not be in need.
Dangers of not working
10. 2 Thessalonians 3:11-12 We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive. They are not busy; they are busybodies. Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the food they eat.
11. 1 Timothy 5:8-9 But if someone does not provide for his own, especially his own family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. No widow should be put on the list unless she is at least sixty years old, was the wife of one husband,
12. 1 Corinthians 15:57-58 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ! So then, dear brothers and sisters, be firm. Do not be moved! Always be outstanding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.
13. Proverbs 6:6-8 Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise. Without having any chief, officer, or ruler, she prepares her bread in summer and gathers her food in harvest.
Glory of God
14. 1 Corinthians 10:31 So if you eat or drink or whatever you do, do everything to honor God.
15. Colossians 3:23-24 Whatever work you do, do it with all your heart. Do it for the Lord and not for men. Remember that you will get your reward from the Lord. He will give you what you should receive. You are working for the Lord Christ.