Bible verses about loving yourself
There are two types of loving yourself. There is being conceited, prideful, and arrogant thinking you’re better than everyone, which is a sin and there is naturally loving yourself. Naturally loving yourself is being thankful of what God made. Scripture never says to love yourself because it is normal to love yourself.
No one has to tell you because it just comes naturally. Naturally we love ourselves so Scriptures teaches us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves.
On the other hand, Scripture does warn us about self love. Our focus should not be on ourselves. We must trade self centered love for agape love. Loving yourself too much shows selfishness and arrogance which God hates.
It leads to self criticism and the sin of boasting. Take your eyes off of yourself and look at the interests of other people.
- You are beautiful I know because I made you. – God
What does the Bible say?
1. Psalm 139:14 I will give thanks to you because I have been so amazingly and miraculously made. Your works are miraculous, and my soul is fully aware of this.
2. Ephesians 5:29 For no one has ever hated his own body, but he nourishes and tenderly cares for it, as the Messiah does the church.
3. Proverbs 19:8 To acquire wisdom is to love oneself; people who cherish understanding will prosper.
Love others as you love yourself.
4. 1. Mark 12:31 The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.‘ No other commandment is greater than these.”
5. Leviticus 19:34 Treat them like native-born Israelites, and love them as you love yourself. Remember that you were once foreigners living in the land of Egypt. I am the LORD your God.
6. James 2:8 Nevertheless, you are doing the right thing if you obey the royal Law in keeping with the Scripture, “You must love your neighbor as yourself.”
7. Leviticus 19:18 “You are not to seek vengeance or hold a grudge against the descendants of your people. Instead, love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.”
Self-worship is a sin.
8. 2 Timothy 3:1-2 You must realize, however, that in the last days difficult times will come. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,
9. Proverbs 21:4 Haughty eyes and a proud heart, the lamp of the wicked, are sin.
10. Proverbs 18:12 Haughtiness goes before destruction; humility precedes honor.
11. Proverbs 16:5 The LORD detests the proud; they will surely be punished.
12. Galatians 6:3 For if anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself.
13. Proverbs 27:2 Praise should come from another person and not from your own mouth, from a stranger and not from your own lips.
Don’t focus on yourself, instead focus on the awesome love that God has for you.
14. 1 John 4:19 We love because God first loved us.
15. Ephesians 2:4-5 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of his great love for us even when we were dead because of our offenses, made us alive together with the Messiah (by grace you have been saved)
16. Psalm 36:7 How precious is your gracious love, God! The children of men take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
17. Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Think of others as more significant than yourself.
18. Romans 12:10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.
19. Philippians 2:3 Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves.
20. Galatians 5:26 Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another.