Bible verses about hoarding
While it is good to save we must be on guard from hoarding. The world we live in today loves wealth and material possessions, but we are to be set apart from the world. You can’t have two gods it’s either you serve God or money. Sometimes it’s not money that people hoard it’s things that could easily benefit the poor that we have no use for.
Do you have a room full of stuff of no value you don’t use? Things that are just picking up dust and if someone tries to throw it away you get mad and say hey I need that.
Maybe it’s your whole house that’s filled with clutter. Always remember giving sets us free, while hoarding entraps us. Compulsive hoarding is indeed idolatry. If you are dealing with this problem.
Repent, and clean up. There are some things you know you don’t need, but for some reason you just don’t want to get rid of it. Have a yard sale or give to the poor.
Give to others who can actually use the things you hoard. Let nothing be before you and God. Do not love money or possessions and serve God with all your heart.
1. Matthew 6:19-21 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
2. Luke 12:33-34 “Sell your possessions and give to those in need. This will store up treasure for you in heaven! And the purses of heaven never get old or develop holes. Your treasure will be safe; no thief can steal it and no moth can destroy it. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.
3. Luke 12:16-21 And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.”
What does the Bible say?
4. Ecclesiastes 5:13 I have seen a grievous evil under the sun: wealth hoarded to the harm of its owners,
5. James 5:1-3 Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days.
6. Proverbs 11:24 One person gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.
7. Proverbs 11:26 People curse those who hoard their grain, but they bless the one who sells in time of need.
Be on guard
9. Luke 12:15 Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”
10. 1 Timothy 6:6-7 But godliness with contentment is great gain. for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.
11. Exodus 20:3 “You shall have no other gods before me.
12. Colossians 3:5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.
13. 1 Corinthians 10:14 Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.
14. Haggai 1:5-7 Now, therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts: Consider your ways. You have sown much, and harvested little. You eat, but you never have enough; you drink, but you never have your fill. You clothe yourselves, but no one is warm. And he who earns wages does so to put them into a bag with holes.“Thus says the Lord of hosts: Consider your ways.
15. Ecclesiastes 5:12 The sleep of a laborer is sweet, whether they eat little or much, but as for the rich, their abundance permits them no sleep.
Matthew 6:24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.