Bible verses about drinking and smoking
In this world today especially among the youth and people in there early 20’s there is a huge pressure to drink alcohol and smoke. While drinking isn’t a sin drunkenness is and many people drink for that reason or to seem cool. It’s considered cool today to get messed up and smoke weed, cigarettes, blacks, etc.
What the world finds cool like underage drinking is sinful to God, but Satan loves it. He loves people getting drunk, acting stupid, and dying from drunk driving accidents. Only fools seek an early death. He loves when people destroy their lungs, get addicted, and take years off their life. As Christians we are to separate ourselves from the world. The world likes to follow evil and the latest trend.
We are to walk by the Spirit and follow Christ. If you have sloth type friends who waste their time all day by smoking and drinking they shouldn’t be your friends. If what you’re doing doesn’t glorify God it shouldn’t be done. Your body is not your own it is for the Lord. You don’t need to be drunk you don’t need to smoke. Christ is all you need.
What does the Bible say?
1. 1 Peter 4:3-4 For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do–living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you.
2. Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise.
3. Romans 13:13 Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.
4. Ephesians 5:18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.
5. 1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
Your body is not your own.
6. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
7. 1 Corinthians 3:17 If any man destroys the house of God, God will destroy him. God’s house is holy. You are the place where He lives.
8. Romans 12:1 And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.
9. 1 Corinthians 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
Do not love the world.
10. Romans 12:2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
11. 1 John 2:15 Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you.
12. Ephesians 4:23-24 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
13. Romans 13:14 Instead, clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don’t let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires.
14. Proverbs 23:32 In the end it bites like a serpent and stings like an adder.
15. Isaiah 5:22 Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks
Walk by the Holy Spirit.
16. Galatians 5:16-17 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.
17. Romans 8:5 Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.
18. Ephesians 5:15-17 Be very careful, then, how you live–not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.
19. 1 Corinthians 10:31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
20. Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.