Bible verses about defending yourself
Nowhere in Scripture does it say that Christians can’t protect themselves or their family. What we should never do though is seek revenge. We must be slow to anger and handle all situations with wisdom. Here are a few examples. If someone breaks into your house at nighttime you don’t know if that person is armed or what they came to do. If you happen to shoot him you are not guilty. If that person breaks into your house in the daytime and sees you and starts to run, if out of anger you run after him and shoot him you are guilty and in Florida this is against the law.
A person posing a threat to you is different from someone who is not. If someone punches you in the face as a Christian you must walk away and don’t try to retaliate. I know as men we have pride we think to ourselves I’m not going to let that guy punch me and get away with it, but we must let go of the pride and use biblical discernment even if we know we can beat the person up. Now it’s one thing if someone punches you once and leaves you alone, but it’s different if someone is chasing after you in relentless attack mode and tries to harm you.
This is a situation where you have to defend yourself. If you can run then run, but if you can’t and someone poses a threat you do what you have to do. It is perfectly fine for Christians to own firearms or go to boxing, karate, or any fighting class, but remember never retaliate and always be wise. Only defend when you have to. Sometimes just cause you can do something doesn’t mean you should.
What does the Bible say?
1. Luke 22:35-36 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you out to preach the Good News and you did not have money, a traveler’s bag, or an extra pair of sandals, did you need anything?” “No,” they replied. “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!
2. Exodus 22:2-3 “If a thief is caught in the act of breaking into a house and is struck and killed in the process, the person who killed the thief is not guilty of murder. But if it happens in daylight, the one who killed the thief is guilty of murder. “A thief who is caught must pay in full for everything he stole. If he cannot pay, he must be sold as a slave to pay for his theft.
3. Luke 22:38 And they were saying to him, ‘Our Lord, behold, here are two swords.’ He said to them, ‘They are enough.’
4. Luke 11:21 “When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.
5. Psalm 18:34 He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
6. Psalm 144:1 A psalm of David. Praise the LORD, who is my rock. He trains my hands for war and gives my fingers skill for battle.
7. 2 Samuel 22:35 He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
Do not seek revenge let God handle it. Even if someone insults you don’t insult back be the bigger person.
8. Matthew 5:38-39 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.
9. Romans 12:19 Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say, “I will take revenge; I will pay them back,” says the LORD.
10. Leviticus 19:18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.
11. Proverbs 24:29 And don’t say, “Now I can pay them back for what they’ve done to me! I’ll get even with them!”
12. 1 Thessalonians 5:15 See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone.
13. 1 Peter 2:23 When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly.
14. Romans 12:17-18 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
15. Psalm 34:14 Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.
16. Romans 14:19 So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.
17. Hebrews 12:14 Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.
Trust in nothing, but the Lord
18. Psalm 44:6-7 I put no trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; but you give us victory over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame.
19. Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.
20. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.