Bible verses about counseling
Christian counseling is only using God’s Word to counsel others and has nothing to do with psychological counseling. Biblical counseling is used to teach, encourage, rebuke, and guide to help with issues in life. Counselors should instruct others to take their trust and mind off of the world and put them back on Christ. Scripture continually tells us to renew our minds.
Many times the cause of our problems is that we stop focusing on Christ and become distracted by everything around us. We must allow Christ to be our main focus.
We must set a time every day that we are alone with Him. We must allow God to change our minds and help us think more like Christ.
As Christians we’re to counsel others and listen to wise counsel so we can all grow in Christ. The Holy Spirit who lives in us will help us in guidance and learning God’s Word.
- “The church has been so seduced by psychological counseling for so long that anything that seems at odds with the current counseling practices is usually considered a consequence of ignorance.” T.A. McMahon
- “Preaching is personal counseling on a group basis.” Harry Emerson Fosdick
What does the Bible say?
1. Proverbs 11:14 A nation falls through a lack of guidance, but victory comes through the counsel of many.
2. Proverbs 15:22 Plans fail without advice, but with many counselors they are confirmed.
3. Proverbs 13:10 Where there is strife, there is pride, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.
4. Proverbs 24:6 for you should wage war with sound guidance– victory comes with many counselors.
5. Proverbs 20:18 Plans are confirmed by getting advice, and with guidance one wages war.
Counsel from God.
6. Psalm 16:7-8 I will praise the LORD who counsels me— even at night my conscience instructs me. I keep the LORD in mind always. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
7. Psalm 73:24 You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny.
8. Psalm 32:8 [The LORD says,] “I will instruct you. I will teach you the way that you should go. I will advise you as my eyes watch over you.
9. James 3:17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, accommodating, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial, and not hypocritical.
The Holy Spirit our counselor.
10. John 16:13 When the Spirit of Truth comes, he will guide you into the full truth. He won’t speak on his own. He will speak what he hears and will tell you about things to come.
11. John 14:26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit–the Father will send Him in My name–will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have told you.
Listening to wise counsel.
12. Proverbs 19:20 Listen to advice and receive discipline, that you may become wise by the end of your life.
13. Proverbs 12:15 A stubborn fool considers his own way the right one, but a person who listens to advice is wise.
Build each other up.
14. Hebrews 10:24 We must also consider how to encourage each other to show love and to do good things. We should not stop gathering together with other believers, as some of you are doing. Instead, we must continue to encourage each other even more as we see the day of the Lord coming.
15. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 So then, encourage one another and build each other up, as you are doing.
16. Hebrews 3:13 Instead, continue to encourage one another every day, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin,
The Bible is the only tool you need.
17. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is given by God. And all Scripture is useful for teaching and for showing people what is wrong in their lives. It is useful for correcting faults and teaching the right way to live. Using the Scriptures, those who serve God will be prepared and will have everything they need to do every good work.
18. Joshua 1:8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.
19. Psalm 119:15 I want to reflect on your guiding principles and study your ways.
20. Psalm 119:24-25 Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors. I am laid low in the dust; preserve my life according to your word.
21. Ephesians 4:15 Instead, by speaking the truth in love, we will grow up completely and become one with the head, that is, one with the Messiah,
22. James 1:19 Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters! Let every person be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger.
23. Proverbs 4:13 Keep hold of instruction; do not let go; guard her, for she is your life.
24. Colossians 2:8 Be careful not to allow anyone to captivate you through an empty, deceitful philosophy that is according to human traditions and the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.
25. Colossians 1:28 He is the one we proclaim, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone fully mature in Christ.
Ephesians 4:22-24 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.