Bible verses about coarse joking
Christians are called to be God’s holy people so we must rid ourselves of any obscene talk and sinful jesting. Dirty jokes should never come out of our mouths. We are to build others up and stay away from anything that can cause our brothers to stumble. Be imitators of Christ and keep your speech and your thoughts clean. On the day of judgement everyone will be held accountable for the words that came out of their mouth.
- “Be sure to taste your words before you spit them out.”
- Crude humor has never helped anyone.
What does the Bible say?
1. Colossians 3:8 But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language
2. Ephesians 5:4 Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes—these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God.
3. Ephesians 4:29-30 Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. And do not bring sorrow to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption.
Don’t be conformed to the world.
4. Romans 12:2 Do not be shaped by this world; instead be changed within by a new way of thinking. Then you will be able to decide what God wants for you; you will know what is good and pleasing to him and what is perfect.
5. Colossians 3:5 So put to death your worldly impulses: sexual sin, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed (which is idolatry).
6. 1 Peter 1:14-16 As obedient children, do not be shaped by the desires that used to influence you when you were ignorant. Instead, be holy in every aspect of your life, just as the one who called you is holy. For it is written, “You must be holy, because I am holy.”
7. Hebrews 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
8. 1 Thessalonians 4:7 For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness.
Guard your mouth
9. Proverbs 21:23 Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.
10. Proverbs 13:3 Those who control their tongue will have a long life; opening your mouth can ruin everything.
11. Psalm 141:3 Take control of what I say, O LORD, and guard my lips.
Be a light
12. Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
13. Matthew 12:36 And I tell you this, you must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak.
14. 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 but test them all; hold on to what is good, reject every kind of evil.
15. Proverbs 18:21 The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
16. James 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
17. Romans 8:6-7 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
18. 1 Corinthians 11:1 Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.
19. Ephesians 5:1 Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children.
20. Ephesians 4:24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
Cause no one to stumble
21. 1 Corinthians 8:9 But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.
22. Romans 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother’s way.
23. Ephesians 5:17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.
24. Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
25. 2 Timothy 2:15-16 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly.