Bible verses about child abuse
Contrary to what deceitful Bible critics say, Scripture never condones child abuse in any way. Child abuse usually comes from anger that is taken out on children, which is definitely wrong. Spanking is not child abuse. In America if a parent disciplines a child some people scream child abuse.
A whooping was never considered abuse back in the day. Spanking if a child deserves discipline is OK because it’s out of love and it shows a child right from wrong.
When it goes too far and daily abuse is in the picture it is wrong, it is a sin, and it should be confronted and if it continues, then reported.
Christians shouldn’t abuse their children and should be able to tell the difference between spanking and abusing.
For example, if a child is seen with burns and cuts that is abuse. Child abuse is not only physical violence, but it can be emotional abuse, sexual abuse, and child neglect as well.
Scripture makes it clear that Christian parents are not to be unfair, harsh, nor are we to provoke our children to anger.
- “Child abuse casts a shadow the length of a lifetime” – Herbert Ward
What does the Bible say?
1. Proverbs 19:18 Discipline your children, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to their death.
2. Ephesians 6:4 Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord.
3. Colossians 3:21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
Spanking for discipline is OK because it’s out of love.
4. Proverbs 13:24 Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.
5. Proverbs 22:15 Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
6. Proverbs 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go, and even when he is old he will not turn away from it.
It starts with anger.
7. Proverbs 14:29 People with understanding control their anger; a hot temper shows great foolishness.
8. James 1:20-21 Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires. So get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls.
9. Proverbs 29:22 An angry person stirs up conflict, and a hot-tempered person commits many sins.
10. Proverbs 19:19 A man of great wrath shall suffer punishment: for if thou deliver him, yet thou must do it again.
11. Proverbs 22:24 Do not make friends with a hot-tempered person, do not associate with one easily angered.
A parent’s love is an example of God’s love. Child abuse destroys the meaning of parenthood.
12. Isaiah 49:15 “Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!
13. Titus 2:4 so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children,
14. 1 Corinthians 13:4-5 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude.
15. John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
16. 2 Peter 1:5-6 For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness,
17. Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
18. Proverbs 25:28 A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls.
Child abuse puts children on the wrong path and it repeats itself from one generation to the next.
19. Mark 9:42 “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea.
20. Proverbs 16:29 A violent person entices their neighbor and leads them down a path that is not good.
21. Numbers 14:18 The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.’
God doesn’t want the children He loves abused.
22. Mark 10:14 When Jesus saw what was happening, he was angry with his disciples. He said to them, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children.
23. Psalm 127:3 Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward from him.
24. Galatians 5:20-21 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
25. Ephesians 4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
Psalm 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds.