Are you trying to find out if you are a good person or not? Do you think that you are close to being perfect? Let’s find out below with a quick quiz. Please take this seriously and be honest with yourself.
- Have you ever said the Lord’s name in vain? Have you ever said things like OMG?
If you have you’re a blasphemer.
- Have you ever hated or had a strong dislike for someone?
The Bible says that hateful thoughts are equal to murder so if you have you are a murderer at heart.
- Have you ever had sex or even looked at someone with lustful thoughts?
If you have committed this you are an adulterer at heart.
- Have you ever stolen anything? It could be something small.
You are a thief if you have ever stolen anything.
- Have you ever lied about something?
If you lie then you are a liar.
- Have you ever wanted something that wasn’t yours?
If this is true about you, then you are covetous.
If you don’t know by now these are some of the Ten Commandments. By your own admission everything that you have committed you will see what you are in red. Does a liar, murderer, thief sound like a good person to you? Of course not. You might say, “oh well I already knew I wasn’t perfect,” but that’s a huge problem.
God is the standard for goodness. He says, “be perfect nothing short of perfection will enter My presence.”
Matthew 5:48 You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
1 Peter 1:16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”
Deuteronomy 18:13 You must be blameless before the LORD your God.
Why should God forgive you?
Think about this, if someone murders your whole family on video and gets caught a year later, will a good judge let them go free? If a judge let’s them go free that is an evil judge and you would be outraged. If the criminal says, “look at all the good things I did after the crime,” a good judge will still not let him go free. You can’t bribe a judge by your good works. They mean nothing.
- Isaiah 64:6 All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.
The truth is God shouldn’t forgive you.
He is a holy just God separated from all evil, why should He? We are criminals in the eyes of God.
- Proverbs 17:15 The one who acquits the guilty and the one who condemns the innocent–both of them are an abomination to the LORD.
What if you were the person who murdered someone’s whole family and the family you happened to murder was the judges family. You killed his precious son and you received the death penalty. On the day that you are to be executed imagine the horror you would you feel.
- Now imagine on the day of execution the judge comes down from his bench and says, “I love you regardless if you did anything to deserve my love. I’m going to take your place. I will take upon the death you deserve and die for your crimes. You will then be set free.” Then, the judge goes into the execution room and dies by lethal injection.
How would you feel about that Judge?
You would be overwhelmed with joy. You would be so appreciative of that judge. You wouldn’t want to take advantage of that judge by going back to that lifestyle.
Believe the Gospel.
That is what God did for you and me. Out of God’s love, mercy, and grace God came down from Heaven in the form of man and lived the perfect life that you and I could not live. Jesus who is God in the flesh willfully went upon the cross and suffered the wrath of God on our behalf. He died, He was buried, and He was resurrected for our sins. Our sins killed God’s Son.
Trust in Christ alone.
Repent of your sins and trust in Christ. Stop trying to work for your salvation and trust in the perfect merit of Jesus Christ. Jesus is my only claim to Heaven. My good works are not good enough and they mean nothing. Fall upon Jesus your Savior, trust in Him. Jesus took away my sins. He took away my guilt. Repentance is a change of mind that leads to a turning away from sin. True faith in Christ will change your lifestyle. You will have new desires for Christ and you won’t desire to live a continuous lifestyle of rebellion. God will work in you to make you into the image of His son. Life is all about Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
- Romans 6:1-2 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?
Glory to God that being perfect is not the way to enter into Heaven. Let’s all put our trust in the one who was perfect, Jesus Christ.
- Ephesians 2:8-10 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith–and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.